BlueSun Inc. is currently recruiting for a temporary, Cook 1 at Oregon State University
Must be available for full-time work. Multiple shifts available.
Responsibilities of the Cook I
- Responsible for food preparation for a large dining facility.
- Prepare food items following all safe food handling procedures for these items
- Assist in preparation of menu items by following the directions from lead cooks and Chefs de Cuisine,
- Follow safety procedures for using large food production equipment
- Ensure that students who assist in meal preparation are following safe and sanitary preparation procedures
- Inform the Cook 2, Food Service Coordinator, or Chef de Cuisine of needed products and product outages.
- Assists in the responsibility for the appearance, flavor and overall quality of the entire meal for each assigned catering event when assigned to a catering position, as well as general responsibility for the quality of the total daily prepared meals when assigned to a restaurant or production.
- Maintain sufficient quantities of food to meet customer demand while minimizing over-production and waste.
- Rotate and properly store food and beverage products using the FIFO system and HACCP guidelines
- Make sure students are following all sanitation guidelines, including temperature logs and record-keeping, etc.
- Stock products needed for service.
- Provide friendly, polite, knowledgeable, and efficient service.
- Perform routine food service duties, such as serving prepared foods and dispensing beverages.
- Instruct student workers as necessary in procedures
- Advise supervisor on the performance of student workers.
Requirements of the Cook I
2 years of cooking experience in an institution or commercial firm serving complete meals
- Experience working with kitchen equipment including, but not limited to, grills, fryers, knives, slicing machines, mixers, ovens, and steam kettles
- Knowledge of large quantity food preparation
- Experience in safe and sanitary methods for food and beverage preparing, handling, and storage
- Requires a valid Food Handler’s certificate within 30 days of employment
- Must be able to pass a background check and other pre-employment screenings.