Personal Care Giver (3p-11p) West
Blue Skies of Texas San Antonio, TX
- Posted: over a month ago
Tasks assigned to this position involve exposure to blood and body fluids.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides direct care for residents who are cognitively, emotionally, and functionally impaired. Guides orassists residents with those activities of daily living that they are unable to perform without assistance, fostering at all times the resident's independence, dignity, and freedom of choice. Also responsible for ensuring that the residents' environment is safe and meets all sanitary guidelines.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: It is important that the incumbent is able to deal effectively and sensitively with residents, employees, supervisors, staff, vendors, other professionals, and the general public in person and by phone. People-oriented skills required. Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand verbal and written instructions in English. Professional demeanor must be maintained in all communications, as well as the ability to initiate action with only minimal guidance from Supervisor. Must be able to problem-solve quickly and accurately, perform simple math calculations, and produce professional communications via verbal and written reports, including accurate food production reports.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Preferred: High school diploma or equivalent. Prior geriatric nursing assistance care and dementia care experience.
EQUIPMENT AND COMPUTER OPERATIONS: Basic knowledge of general office equipment and Microsoft Office suite of products. Training will be provided to familiarize incumbent with related equipment to ensure safety and proper operation during use.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS: Preferred: Nursing Assistant Certification, as well as cardiopulmonary resuscitation, automated external defibrillator, and First Aid certifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists residents with each scheduled program activity, participates in all activities, and provides support and encouragement to residents during same; assists and encourages family members who may wish to participate.
2. Utilizes appropriate established techniques, prompts, and cues when interacting with residents.
3. Monitors residents with swallowing precautions and promptly reports any problems encountered to Supervisor.
4. Provides direct resident assistance with activities of personal care, dressing, grooming, and eating.
5. Assists with the fitting and adjustment of adaptive equipment including visual and auditory aids.
6. Assists residents with dining activities including household skills and serving meals.
7. Understands and recognizes limitations; uses appropriate judgment to maintain safety of residents, staff, and self.
8. Provides guidance and assistance to the resident with telephone, housekeeping tasks, and correspondence.
9. Makes appropriate decisions consistent with established procedures.
10. Performs household duties in all residential areas; maintains safe environment and meets sanitary guidelines.
11. Promptly reports any problems, changes in resident condition, or family or visitor issues to Supervisor.
12. Answers general questions from family members, physicians, or other staff members, and refers all questions of a medical nature to Supervisor or Freedom House Manager.
13. Functions as a team player; maintains good communication with staff and upholds Eden Alternative Philosophies.
14. Maintains a cooperative and courteous attitude while performing simultaneous tasks in a fast-paced environment.
15. Assists in the completion of tasks required and or provided by supplementary staff and outside support agencies; support staff may include but is not limited to Hospice, Pharmacy and Lab Technicians.
16. Monitors equipment used; promptly reports potential safety concerns to Supervisor or Freedom House Manager.
17. Assists in the daily care of household pets, birds, and plants.
18. Documents resident activities and levels of care in accordance with established policy, and follows individual service plan directives for each resident.
19. Follows proper, established procedures in response to emergencies and natural disasters.
20. Demonstrates an appreciation for the heritage, values, and wisdom of the residents and an understanding of the normal changes of aging, Alzheimer's disease, and other related dementia.
21. Attends in-services, educational programs, and meetings as required.
22. Assists with quality improvement programs.
23. Monitors resident's functional abilities and promptly reports any changes to Supervisor.
24. Attends service plan meetings as assigned and provides input based on knowledge of working with the resident.
25. Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
DIRECT REPORTS: None.
INTERNAL CONTROL: Within the scope of position duties, responsible for seeing that operations are effective and efficient, assets are safeguarded, and applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures are complied with. This position will handle confidential information and must treat such with appropriate sensitivity and not discuss a resident's health, behavior or private matters with another resident or in common areas where information could be overheard by non-staff.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS: Work is generally performed indoors in a climate-controlled health care facility. Job duties are very rigorous and physical demands are high at times. Must be able to stand and walk 6 to 7 hours daily, bend and lift up to 50 pounds three to four times daily, and push and pull up to 100 pounds for 3 to 4 hours daily. Bending, squatting, and reaching are necessary as well as mobility for frequent maneuvering in and between work areas. Personal protective equipment (PPE) will be worn as needed to minimize exposure to health hazards, and training will be provided to ensure safety and proper wear during use. Few environmental hazards are present, although the threat of communicable disease exists. Mild cleaning products, waxes, and soaps are used in the immediate area. Mild pesticides are used periodically to control bug infestation.
WORK SCHEDULE: Core work shifts are varied Monday through Sunday and include day, evening, and weekend hours. Special projects or assignments may require working additional hours to include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
WORK LOCATION: Freedom House on the Blue Skies West campus.
ATTIRE AND DRESS CODE: Designated uniform as outlined by Supervisor must be worn and kept clean and in serviceable condition. Close-toed, slip-resistant shoes required. Blue Skies employee ID badge or name tag must be worn at all times while on duty. PPE will be issued and worn, as needed. See employee handbook for specific guidelines. It is the intention of Blue Skies of Texas to ensure that employees maintain a neat and professional appearance at all times while on duty.
RANGE OF PAY: Dependent upon qualifications and experience, with the intent to be competitive within the market
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro