Chief of Staff
- Posted: over a month ago
Chief of Staff - Job Description
Application Timeline: Rolling, position open until filled. August 1st Priority application Deadline.
Location: Remote. Must be available to lead and participate in work events in the Bay Area and in Sacramento.
Reports to: Zach Knight, Co-founder & CEO
Salary: 85-125k, dependent on experience.
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible.
About Blue Forest and the Forest Resilience Bond
Blue Forest is an innovative climate finance non-profit that addresses pressing environmental challenges by developing ecological investment opportunities. In partnership with the US Forest Service and the World Resources Institute, Blue Forest developed our signature environmental product, the Forest Resilience Bond (FRB), to overcome the funding gap for forest management. As a first of its kind public-private partnership, the FRB enables private capital to catalyze public land management on National Forest land, thereby reducing wildfire risk and promoting ecological sustainability, by valuing the resulting ecosystem services.
Blue Forest is an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, foresters, finance, and communications professionals committed to the mission of “Financial Innovation for Sustainable Solutions” through our culture of learning, collaboration, diligence, and innovation. As we grow and develop new financial solutions to pressing environmental problems, we are working to dismantle discrimination and racism in our environmental work and seek to amplify the voices of historically excluded voices in the burgeoning field of conservation finance.
The Chief of Staff will be the voice of the organization to support the CEO and the leadership team. This individual will provide key consulting, advisory, and organizational support across a variety of areas such as strategic planning, business development, partnerships, process improvement, company culture, and communication outreach. This individual will need to be an excellent communicator who can connect with people from all across the organization, as well as external partners such as beneficiaries or investors. The Chief of Staff will be able to use their strong analytical skills to think strategically when making decisions that affect every aspect of the organization.
The primary goals of the Chief of Staff at Blue Forest include the following: (1) serve as a strategic advisor to the CEO and the leadership team (2) assume day-to-day responsibilities for key projects, partnerships, and investments and (3) promote organizational effectiveness and company culture by providing support to the CEO and company operations.
Responsibilities & Duties
Company Culture and Operations (40%)
- Be a champion for company culture, values, and inclusion
- Proactively identify opportunities and recommend approaches to improve Blue Forest working environment, collaboration, trust, and coordination
- Lead and facilitate various company meetings and events, including weekly team meetings, coordinating the Blue Forest Conservation webinar series, planning annual organization retreats & other special events (with assistance from other staff, in collaboration with the Head of Talent & Equity)
- Partner with the Operations Manager to create systems and processes to streamline operations and address gaps
- Collaborate with the Head of Talent and Equity to support DEI initiatives and support the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding process
- Design and facilitate internal KPI strategy management alongside the Executive team. This includes designing and delivering monthly company-wide progress reports and quarterly dashboards, while considering other mechanisms for improvement
Partnership and Fundraising Development and Management (35%)
- Screen and perform due diligence for potential fundraising partnership opportunities
- Lead and manage strategic funding partnerships and special projects
- Develop initiatives with partners to further Blue Forest's organizational goals
- Create strategic plans for new and existing programs of work for foundation and government funders
- Oversee the complete lifecycle management of grant and funding relationships
- Ability to enhance investor relationships on behalf of the organization
- Supervise and direct other members of the team focused on partnership development, fundraising and relationship management across different partner types
Executive Team Support and Proxy (25%)
- Draft key internal or external strategic and investor related documents on behalf of the CEO & Executive Team
- Support CEO with Board of Directors meeting preparation
- Eventually serve as a proxy for CEO in speaking events and partnership development efforts
- Serve as a liaison across the team, the executive team, and Board of Directors
- Candidate should have a demonstrated interest in and commitment to environmental conservation and climate resilience
- 5+ years of business development, communication strategy, or management experience
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience building relationships with key stakeholders
- Proven ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work under pressure with strict deadlines
- Strong organization, project management, and planning skills and excels in navigating and bringing structure to ambiguity
- Prior experience with grant writing, fundraising material development and management
- High emotional intelligence; good team player and relationship management skills
- The ability to work across internal departments to foster relations, community, and organizational cohesion
- Ability to lead projects from ideation to execution
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- 100% Employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k retirement plan with 4% employer match
- Starting 3 weeks paid vacation and 17 paid holidays
- Paid sick leave
- Long term disability coverage
- Explore the Outdoors Stipend (reimbursements for visits to National Parks & National Forests)
- Monthly Home Office Stipend or Co-Working Space provided
- Additional stipend to cover home internet and cell service
- 3 months paid family leave
- Professional development stipend
- Option for non-taxable contributions towards repayment of student loan debt, up to $5,250 per year, in lieu of salary
COVID VACCINE REQUIREMENT
All Blue Forest staff are required to be “fully vaccinated” against COVID-19, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines that term. Proof of full vaccination shall be a condition of employment and must be provided prior to starting work, except where prohibited by law. Blue Forest is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and the company will engage in the interactive process regarding reasonable accommodations for candidates who cannot be vaccinated due to a disability/medical condition; a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance; or a claimed exemption under applicable state law.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to this position, submit a resume and cover letter on Bamboo HR. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. People from historically underrepresented populations and candidates with non-traditional career paths are especially encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and those submitted by August 1st, will be given priority consideration.
If participating in the interview process would require you to incur additional expenses to participate, such as childcare, please let us know and we are happy to reimburse for reasonable expenses incurred up to $30/hour for twice the length of each interview in which you participate. There will be space to request this reimbursement upon offer of an interview.
Blue Forest provides equal employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Applicants must have authorization to work in the United States.
Blue Forest Finance
BusinessView all jobs at Blue Forest Finance