Project Consultant / Sales
We are an innovative, professional, sales-focused paving & concrete contractor. We have smart, dedicated employees. We care intensely about the people that work for us, and their families, and that is reflected in the way we treat people, the benefits we offer, and the environment we provide.
We don’t do freeways. We don’t do home driveways. We don’t do new construction. We’re not a typical contractor. We have a successful niche selling pavement maintenance solutions to Homeowners’ Associations, and property owners and managers of retail, commercial and industrial properties. This means you are selling to other professionals in a business environment, not sitting in people’s living rooms or scribbling up an estimate on a clipboard in someone’s driveway.
These are the qualities that will ensure your success:
- A burning desire to win.
- A strength of confidence that allows you to keep going, again and again, no matter how tough it gets.
- A contagious well of energy and enthusiasm for the chase.
- An intuitive sense of how to prioritize.
- An instinctive ability to read people.
- A genuine enjoyment of meeting new people.
- An inexhaustible ability to stay focused on the task at hand.
- A compulsion to learn, to strive to become better and better.
- The ability to juggle many different things every day – no day is the same!
Here is a taste of what the job entails:
Sales: Meet customers and discern their expectations, priorities and budgets. Visit properties and use all verbal and non-verbal clues provided by the customer to scope out a paving/sealing/concrete project that fulfills their expectations. Prepare a presentation (including a written proposal, site plan, phasing schedule, etc.) that justifies the expense and satisfies the customer’s concerns. Locate the decision-maker(s) and find a way to get in front of them. Sell the customer on our company and your project specifications and close the deal.
Estimating: Measure parking lots for paving, sealing and concrete repairs. Look for drainage problems, access issues, trip hazards, etc. Sketch out parking lot (or use provided site plan) and identify repair areas and scope of work. In the office, use take off quantities and input into an Excel spreadsheet. Plan out how the job will be built and determine labor and equipment hours necessary. Obtain material and subcontractor quotes. Determine selling amount of job by reviewing unit prices and potential profit margin attainable based on your assessment of the customer and historical data.
Project Management: Once a job is won, you’ll meet with the customer to discuss project details and manage their expectations of what to expect during and after construction. Review timecards/maps and brief Operations Manager on details of the job. Meet the crew on-site to relay project details and verify scope of work and customer expectations. Receive calls from residents and the public about the project on day of construction. Follow up with customers post-construction.
Prospecting: Target and obtain desirable customers in the commercial, industrial, retail, hospitality and multi-family residential market segments. Set up new customer meetings and schedule educational “Paving 101” lunch-and-learn sessions.
Customer Maintenance: Keep in touch with customers to keep our company fresh in their minds. Serve as a professional resource for all parking lot and roadway related issues. Help them develop maintenance plans, prepare budget numbers, adjust reserve studies. Educate them about pavement maintenance and keep them informed about new products and services we offer.
Sales Team Member: Work as part of the team with other sales reps to raise the performance and effectiveness of the team, including brainstorming on how to win a tricky deal or build a difficult job, discussing and dissecting unit prices and pricing matrixes, researching different suppliers or vendors, etc. Support each other with workload issues, vacations, out-of-town projects.
- 3+ years of professional outside sales experience (construction or construction services experience and/or selling to property managers, homeowners’ associations, and facilities’ managers – sales experience in this industry is a plus, but not a deal breaker).
- Strong business writing skills.
- Reasonable math skills; able to work with simple formulas and figure out things like square footage.
- Basic computer skills (we use Word, Excel, a CRM, CorelDraw, Google Earth).
- Mentally focused, motivated, and absolutely driven to succeed; passionate about winning, but thick-skinned enough to take a loss and get right back up.
- Competitive base salary ($75k) + Project Commissions
- Medical, dental & vision.
- Paid vacation, sick time/personal time off.
- Company vehicle, phone and gas – once probationary period has ended.
- 401K with graduated matching dollars after first year.
- Life insurance after 1 full year.
- Bonuses & incentive plans based on sales.
How to apply:
Apply by emailing us your Resume with a Cover Letter introducing yourself, stating why you are interested in working for us, and why you think you would excel at this job. No calls please. Resumes will not be accepted without a cover letter!
Disclaimer : The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive of every job duty, responsibility, or qualification required by an employee assigned to this job. While employed in this position, an employee may be required to perform other assignments not listed on this job description.