Bishop & Co. is seeking qualified candidates for a Manager, Health Information Coder/Abstractor (Patient Access) opportunity for a leading local health care organization
MANAGER, HEALTH INFORMATION CODER/ABSTRACTOR
Medical Coding | Operations | Finance | Management | Clinical Documentation | Health Records | Payment Systems | ICD-10 CM/PCS | CPT-4 Coding | Healthcare | Coding | RHIT – Registered Health Information Technician
Do you specialize in the coding and/or abstracting health records? Passionate about community health? Do you enjoy training and overseeing others? Are you a problem solver, by nature? Are you detailed oriented? Are you passionate about providing excellence in service and systems?
If you are all of this and more… than this is the opportunity for you!
Manages the daily operations of the Health Information Coder and Abstractor department. Ensures coding and abstracting of health records meet established standards of accuracy, timeliness and quality. Ensures alignment with the goals and objectives of the Quality and Clinical Documentation department as well as the overall goals and objectives of the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as a resource and provides expertise to staff, management, and departments regarding current ICD-10 CM/PCS and CPT-4, outpatient and inpatient prospective payment systems, coding compliance and guidelines, and coding issues. Identifies potential issues/concerns, resolves and/or make recommendations to management and departments relating to health record coding/abstracting.
- Meets regularly with Clinical Documentation leadership to review documentation issues that prevent the accurate assignment of ICD-10 CM/PCS codes and identifies opportunities for education. Meets regularly with Quality department regarding coding discrepancies/opportunities relative to pay for performance reimbursement.
- Develops, coordinates, and implements in-service and training programs to develop staff and provide training to other departments and other external stakeholders. Monitors programs to ensure its effectiveness in meeting needs of the department and organization.
- Audits and validates coding and abstracting performed by staff. Conducts routine quality reviews of ICD-10 CM/PCS and CPT-4 coding. Formulates and submits reports of the quality review results to management.
- Makes determinations and prepares written response/documentation to third-party payor, PRO, fiscal intermediary, and other types of audit requests or payment denials.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in medical records, health information management, business or health related field; or four (4) years acute care facility coding experience may be substituted for the educational requirement.
- Certification as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Registered health Information Administrator (RHIA).
- In addition to the educational requirement, five (5) years’ experience in ICD-9 CM, ICD-10 CM/PCS and CPT-4 coding of inpatient and outpatient medical records.
- Two (2) years leadership/supervisory experience.
- Experience to demonstrate the following:
- In-depth knowledge of ICD-10 CM/PCS, CPT4/HCPCS, DRG, and APCS.
- Ability to use computerized medical records systems.
- Ability to use spreadsheet and word processing software.
** OUT OF STATE CANDIDATES: **
Please outline your professional and/or personal ties to Hawaii in your application/resume/cover letter and/or communication. Required.
Bishop & Company provides recruiting and placement services for client companies and job seekers for opportunities throughout Hawaii, with emphasis on executive search, direct hire, temp to hire, and temporary/contract staffing. We charge no fees to our placed candidates and our temporary/contract employees. Our client services are 100% guaranteed.
Please forward resumes to:
Bishop & Company
Equal Opportunity Employer – Disability and Veteran
*** OUT OF STATE CANDIDATES: Strong ties to Hawaii are highly preferred. Please outline your professional and/or personal ties to Hawaii in your application/resume/cover letter and/or communication. **