Facility Maintenance Technician
Birmingham Jefferson Co Birmingham, AL
- Posted: over a month ago
Reports to: Facility Manager
Department: Mechanical Plant
Under general supervision, the Facility Maintenance Technician performs a variety of maintenance and repairs services to various systems at the BJCC.
The following competencies describe the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes that lead to a successful employee in this position. An applicant will be expected to exhibit these competencies or the ability to reach competency achievement within a specified time. These competencies are linked to the essential functions of the job. Employees in this position may be evaluated on these competencies as part of the performance appraisal system.
Technical Expertise and Knowledge
Demonstrates understanding and full performance ability in each of the following:
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of all tools of the trade.
- Cleaning equipment, storage rooms, and tool rooms.
- Performs preventative, diagnostic and corrective maintenance of facilities through a computer maintenance management system (CMMS)
- Must have general electrical knowledge and understanding of AC/DC theory, relays, switches, solenoids, fuses, breakers, etc.
- Demonstrates an ability to repair lighting fixtures, outlets, switches and other general electrical functions throughout the facility.
- Ability to troubleshoot facility asset failures and propose possible corrective actions.
- Performs routine maintenance on plumbing repairs such as unstopping plugged drains/toilets, water leaks, faucets, facility piping inspections, etc.
- Demonstrates an ability to maintain and repair kitchen equipment including ice machines, coolers and freezers, cooking equipment, etc.
- Must have the general knowledge and ability to replace drive belts, clean and lubricates shafts, bearings, gears, pulleys and other parts of machinery.
- Demonstrates an ability to effectively listen, speak, write, and interact in a tactful and professional manner.
- Demonstrates ability to work as a team and address issues and complaints as a part of the group decision-making process.
- Repair/replace doors, locks, drywall, ceiling tiles and other facility related components.
- Demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines.
- Must maintain a safe and organized workspace.
- Assist with facility inspections and make recommendations to ensure compliance with health and safety standards.
- Performs all other duties as required or assigned.
This position may have a moderate to extensive stress level associated with dealing with crowds of public visitors. Must be able to work under pressure for extended periods of time. The environment is mainly indoors, however position may be required to work outdoors and exposed to the elements (heat, rain, etc.). The work involves moderate risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g. working around moving parts, machines, fumes, irritant chemicals. May be required to use protective clothing, or gear such as masks, googles, gloves, hard hats, or shields.
Position requires lifting, climbing, carrying, bending, stooping, squatting, and kneeling for extended periods of time. Extensive walking and or standing. Ability to lift up to 50-pound items with or without assistance, while maintaining good balance. Must be flexible enough to reach above shoulder level and be able to push and pull for extended periods of time.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position; hours of work must be flexible and varied to meet the demands of the events of the facility. Must be able to work extended and/or irregular hours including day, nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a Facility Maintenance Repair Technician or a similar position
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. Trade or technical school training in related discipline preferred.
- HVAC or similar certifications preferred.
- Valid State of Alabama Driver License.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Knowledgeable of the practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in maintenance and repairs.
- Must be able to read and interpret drawings, specifications, operational manuals, and equipment service manuals.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards of building trades and of necessary safety precautions.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions in English.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking, time management, decision making/problem solving skills.
- Anticipates problems and takes action to prevent or correct repairs.
- Ability to be supervised/unsupervised and work cooperatively with co-workers and provide good internal and external customer service.
- Ability to use and care for general maintenance tools and equipment.
- Basic computer skills preferred.
Birmingham Jefferson Co
Real EstateView all jobs at Birmingham Jefferson Co