Laboratory Animal Technician
Position Title: Laboratory Animal Technician
BIOQUAL was established in 1981 and performs contract research services focused on in vivo models of human diseases including COVID-19, AIDS, influenza, RSV infection, Flavivirus infections including Zika and Dengue, malaria, hepatitis, and cancer. BIOQUAL has laboratories and vivariums under both BSL-2 and BSL-3 containment. In addition, BIOQUAL maintains CDC-approved BSL-3 containment laboratories for studies associated with Select Agents including highly pathogenic avian influenza.
The Animal Technician provides a variety of technical, housekeeping, and record keeping tasks associated with nonhuman primates, ferrets and mice. Under general supervision, they perform specialized technical procedures to maintain operation of an animal facility or assist in animal experiments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with necropsy procedures including tissue collection
- Collects, verifies, and correlates facility records and makes timely reports to the supervisor
- Collects blood, tissue and various fluid samples from the animals
- Performs various IV, SC, intranasal and intramuscular injections
- Performs anesthesia and euthanasia as required
- Read and understand standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for animal facilities
- Perform routine inoculations
- Assist in the processing and shipment of serum/tissue samples
- Attend seminars and training
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Biology, Animal Science or a related field; or completion of college level Laboratory Animal Technician program; or at least a high school diploma, ALAT, LAT or LAT’G certification from AALAS and at least 1 additional year of experience in biomedical research
3-5 years of experience
- Considerable knowledge of the care and handling of laboratory animals
- Knowledge of the biology and physical characteristics of animals used in research and the ability to recognize signs of illness and abnormalities
- Knowledge regarding the methods and materials used in laboratory work
- Able to work and communicate professionally with investigators, supervisors and caretakers
- Able to make accurate observations, keep current, accurate, and complete records
- Able to read, understand, and interpret written and oral instruction and perform math calculations in conduct of experimental procedures
Bioqual IncRockville, MD
HealthcareView All Bioqual Inc Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.