- Posted: over a month ago
- $15 to $20 Hourly
- Benefits: dental, life insurance, medical, vision, 401k,
Position Title: Laboratory Animal Caretaker
BIOQUAL was established in 1981 and performs contract research services focused on in vivo models of human diseases including COVID-19, AIDS, influenza, RSV infection, Flavivirus infections including Zika and Dengue, malaria, hepatitis, and cancer. BIOQUAL has laboratories and vivariums under both BSL-2 and BSL-3 containment. In addition, BIOQUAL maintains CDC-approved BSL-3 containment laboratories for studies associated with Select Agents including highly pathogenic avian influenza.
The Animal Caretaker performs standardized procedures associated with operation of a laboratory animal facility under general supervision. An Animal Caretaker performs any combination of duties to attend animals including nonhuman primates, ferrets, lagomorphs and rodents. This includes tasks in animal care, sanitation, operations support, quality control and technical assistance. They perform these duties under supervision until skill, training and understanding of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are demonstrated.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand and follow appropriate SOPs according to animal specie
- Feed and water animals according to schedule set down according to animal species and/or research protocol
- Clean and sanitize cages, water bottles, racks, and animal rooms
- Understand and operate cage wash machine and autoclaves
- Examine animals daily for signs of illness or reactions and reports such observations to an Animal Technician or Project Manager
- Monitor and record humidity and temperature in appointed rooms daily, noting unusual sounds, odors, and ventilation changes
- Perform all tasks in a way to minimize or prevent transfer of infection
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Handle laboratory animals
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Bend, stoop, and stretch
- Operate animal care equipment
- Wear respiratory protection.
- Understanding of the English language, specifically; basic veterinary medicine signs/symbols
9600 Medical Center Dr. RockvilleRockville, MD
AnimalView all jobs at Bioqual INC
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?