Our Salesforce Technical Lead is responsible for working with product management, UX, analysts, developers and administrators to implement, integrate and maintain the Salesforce platform, which hosts our global grant making system as well as other Salesforce based enterprise applications. In addition to coding and development activities, this technical lead will play a crucial role in the design and documentation of technical requirements, architecture patterns and coding standards. The Salesforce Technical Lead will serve as the most senior developer and provide technical direction on platform configuration, development and maintenance. The technical lead helps troubleshoot and resolve production issues and leads root cause analysis to identify and implement long-term solutions. The technical lead partners with both business and technical teams to prototype and deliver application solutions with respect to value, quality, information security and end-user experience. The Salesforce Technical Lead participate as a member of the Salesforce platform Service Owner's leadership team.
The ideal Salesforce Technical Lead will be a strategic thinker, a skilled communicator and a team player. They will have deep hands-on experience in both administration and development on a global Salesforce instance. They will have proven knowledge and expertise with APEX and Visualforce development and are also skilled in architecting and delivering complex business solutions on various technology stacks outside of Salesforce to support integrations. This position reports to the Senior Manager for Delivery on the Investment and CRM Applications team.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
- Participate on a team of Salesforce Administrators and Developers to ensure the on-going operations of our enterprise Salesforce instance.
- Partner with Solutions Architecture and SR Salesforce Administrators to design and deliver elegant, secure, maintainable solutions that meet our customer's business needs.
- Apply functional domain expertise and industry learnings to help guide solution option analysis, working closely with both business and technical teams to identify technical and non-technical implications and trade-offs.
- Partner with business and technical teams to understand, plan and mitigate impacts of Salesforce releases and releases of other integrated applications.
- Stay current on new Salesforce features to ensure we are utilizing the application as effectively as possible.
- Develop and document code development patterns and best practices.
- Educate and mentor both on-shore and off-shore development team members. Perform code reviews to ensure standards and best practices are being followed.
- Organize/lead prototype development, participate in demos & user acceptance reviews, create design documents and artifacts.
- Key technical point of contact for project team resources building against the Salesforce platform.
- Participate in sprint planning/capacity management for the administration team and development resources.
- Key partner in communications regarding the Salesforce platform for team members and stakeholders.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer relationship skills, including the ability to communicate to multiple levels of the organization and with non-technical partners to derive requirements and priorities.
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills, including the ability to arbitrate and objectively evaluate competing requests across the tenants.
- Able to adjust work-style and communication to match team or audience, especially when working with non-technical resources.
- Ability to create clear procedures and system and architectural documentation.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree with 7+ years of experience, or equivalent experience.
- Salesforce Administrator Certification(s)
- Salesforce Platform Developer Certification(s)
- Deep practical experience administering a globally deployed Salesforce instance
- Expertise in all aspects of configuration and coding, with the practical skills to identify when configuration vs. customization is needed and direct those requirements
- Knowledgeable in setting up and maintaining roles, profiles, sharing settings, validation rules, advanced formulas, workflows, flows, process builder, reports, and dashboards
- Solid Visual Force understanding
- Experience with the Lightning Component framework
- Proficient in writing Apex triggers, classes and unit test development
- Firm grasp of Salesforce API's and how they are used (Metadata, Tooling, REST API)
- Knowledge of and ability to solution with regards to Salesforce governor limits
- Solid understanding of data structures, data models and schemas
- Understanding the DevOps landscape on the Salesforce platform including deployments and source control
- Experience/understanding of project governance across multiple workstreams in the same Salesforce instance
- Experience in all phases of a project including working with technical teams as well as the business users
- Strong record of quality delivery
- Demonstrated delivery with an agile methodology
- Experience with SSO, OAuth and Salesforce connected apps
- Experience with other full-stack development environments (.NET, LAMP) and languages (Java, C#, etc.)
- Understands integration patterns and how middleware and ETL tools work with Salesforce
- Experience with Salesforce Analytics
- Service Cloud implementations
- Pardot Experience
We will only consider applications from individuals with current work authorization in the USA, and those who do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We're committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve-in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs-and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Identity
- Gender Expression
- National Origin
- Genetic Information
- Veteran Status
- Marital Status
- Prior Protected Activity
- Ensure more children and young people survive and thrive;
- Empower the poorest, especially women and girls, to transform their lives;
- Combat infectious diseases that particularly affect the poorest; and
- Inspire people to take action to change the world.
Key to enabling these missions is our commitment to science and innovation, collaboration and partnership, measurement and rigor, as well as optimism and risk taking. Based in Seattle, the foundation has a worldwide staff of 1,500 people and is led by CEO Sue Desmond-Hellmann and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett. We have offices in the United States, Europe, India, China and Africa.