- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Best Buddies is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Our programs empower the special abilities of people with IDD by helping them form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy, and communication skills, and feel valued by society.
Job Title: Employment Consultant
Department: State Operations and Programs
Reports to: State Director
# of direct reports: 0
Position Overview: The primary responsibility of the Employment Consultant is to ensure adults with intellectual or developmental disabilities (IDD) are successful in their jobs. The employment consultant will assist a participant in securing a job, training them on the job and providing support during their employments. They work directly with program participants to support them with communication skills, social skills, self-advocacy, and helping them achieve their long-term goals. This includes developing strong relationships with individuals with IDD, their families, and their employers.
- Experience working with people with IDD in a supporting role
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum 4 years’ relevant experience
- Must be adaptable and able to quickly and effectively develop and balance multiple relationships, and get results from a variety of people
- Basic presentation and facilitation skills
- Basic project and time management skills
- Strong written communication and project/time management skills, including attention to detail
- Strong initiative, drive for results, and self-assessment skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Basic understanding of social media and familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Must be comfortable engaging with people with IDD
- Must be engaging and comfortable meeting new people and addressing sensitive issues
- Must be comfortable with frequent local travel, use personal cell phone, and work evenings and weekends as necessary in order to accomplish job responsibilities
- Access to an automobile with applicable insurance
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred but not required
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Travels to participant’s job sites regularly to provides job coaching which involves providing instruction, training, and ongoing support
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with individuals with IDD, families, advocates, counselors and employers
- Stays in regular communication with employers/supervisors and advocates for participants' rights to equal treatment and pay from employers while encouraging self-advocacy and maintaining positive employer-employee relations
- Provides participants with travel training and/or assistance with public transportation
- Makes sound decisions about participants' welfare on the job site and follows all established health and safety guidelines to ensure the health and safety of all participants
- Provides participants and their families assistance in dealing with social security issues, including explanation of work incentives such as Ticket to Work
- Works collaboratively with team to identify opportunities for additional positions at current job sites and in the community
- Attends events to increase local awareness about Best Buddies and identify potential program participants
- Supports participants with preparation for public speaking engagements and fundraising activities
- Supports assessment, job readiness process and job development for participants, when needed
- Support school-based staff with job readiness and self-advocacy training, when applicable
- Contributes content and images for social media platforms
- Assumes full responsibility for a caseload of employed participants, including documenting all services, paperwork, and communications in SET-Works database
- Completes required paperwork in a timely and organized manner, including but not limited to Individualized Written Program Plan (IWPP), annual paperwork, safety exercises, and all reports required by local funding agencies
- Collaborates with supervisor to ensure that all required billing documentation is completed accurately and in a timely manner
Best Buddies® is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EOE and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are foundational to Best Buddies International’s core values and help the organization continue to achieve its mission. Here at Best Buddies, our goal is to lead and advocate for a more inclusive world.
Best Buddies offers a comprehensive and generous benefits programs that include financial security, health and wellness and time off.
Best Buddies requires weekly COVID-19 testing for all staff.
Best Buddies Int. Inc
AddressWindsor Heights, IA
BusinessView all jobs at Best Buddies Int. Inc