Responsible for selling, planning and assisting the operations team in executing special events for catering and buy-outs; serving as the main contact for clients from start to finish to ensure completecustomer satisfaction and promote repeat business. The position requires having and maintaining strong community relationships as well as developing new clientele basis.
- Solicit, negotiate, and secure new business through relationship building with concierges,meeting planners, industry professionals, industry events, conventions, associations andmeetings.
- Maintains, utilizes and enhances a local area book of business to facilitate special event bookingsand sales.
- Evaluate and understand market/environmental/industry trends to develop and execute effectivespecial events sales strategies in order to attract clients and secure sales.
- Make outside sales calls and cold calls to obtain business. Also utilize site inspections and on-siteluncheons to close sales.
- Maintain active liaison with competitors regionally through personal contacts, professional andindustry associations. Monitor pricing, service levels, facilities and function activities atcompetitive facilities to ensure restaurant remains in a competitive position.
- Prompt follow up of negative client feedback as necessary.
- Generate “thank you” notes to clients after functions to promote repeat business.
- Event Planning/Servicing
- Continual customer communication around important dates and deadlines to ensure restaurant team has information necessary to execute a successful event (pricing, cut-off dates, introductions, payment authorization, menu detailing, guarantees, etc.).
- Work closely with culinary team on operations and event execution.
- Provide overall direction, coordination, and ongoing evaluation of operations regarding specialevents.
- Consistently analyze group dining menus to ensure competitive pricing while maintaininginnovation and cost effective menus that will be both beneficial to the client and to the restaurantwithout compromising projected profit margin.
- Work with restaurant management team during dining service to engage other tables andpromote group dining business.
- Work with marketing department in the creation and execution of an effective annual marketing plan (including shoulder times) that is targeted to the local community as well as the internationaland domestic conventions, focusing on expanding group dining business.
- Create and execute special event promotions around shoulder times in order to generateincremental special event revenues.
- Generate and update reports to include: client data base, referral program, marketing activity,industry comparison analysis, and monthly public calendars.
- Vendor partnership development and utilization.
- Generate and update reports to include: revenue reports and projections, profit margins, lostbusiness report as related to special events.
- Forecast projected revenue for upcoming months to ensure accurate budgeting, staffing levels,and F&B ordering and inventory.
- Handle financial transactions including deposits and accuracy of billing.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Interpersonal - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
2-4 year college degree preferably in restaurant or hospitality management; 2-5 years of experience in event planning or catering sales, or equivalent combination of experience and education. Food and beverage knowledge as well as menu planning.
Strong written and verbal communication skills with proven track record of developing and maintaining strong relationships with clients. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common business journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write events proposals and contracts that conform to prescribed style and format.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to create revenue forecasting reports. Ability to apply basic arithmetic functions.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to anticipate, prevent, identify and solve problems as necessary. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have advanced proficiency with Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; Internet software; and Database software.
Proven strong sales techniques using a variety of media and contacts. Strong negotiating skills.
Certificates and Licenses:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position requires the individual to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays as business mandates. Must be able to attend and support scheduled events as required.
The selected individual will be expected to spend the majority of the time visiting local businesses, hotels, chamber of commerce, associations, etc. in order to solicit and secure business and expand the client base. The noise level in the work environment will vary depending on specific location of the client.
Local/day travel – up to 90%
Overnight travel – up to 10%
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met b...