Position Summary: The Medical Assistant is to provide assistance to the licensed-medical provider in multiple settings including the clinic and surgical settings. They are to provide safe, knowledgeable, compassionate individualized care to all patients. This position may be required to float to multiple locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as a patient advocate during patient exam and treatment
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Show patients to examination rooms, procedure rooms or operative rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Record patients' medical history, medications, allergies, vital statistics and information such as test results in medical records.
- Ensure proper consent forms are obtained prior to preparing a patient for treatment
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician following safety protocol of right dose, right patient, right route, right drug and noting expiration date
- Collect blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, wound care instructions and physicians' instructions to patients.
- Help physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments and materials or performing such tasks as giving injections and removing sutures.
- Under Provider direction, authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Inspects sterile items prior to opening and lay supplies out on sterile field in an organized manner
- Assist physician with surgical procedure while maintaining sterile field
- Assess the patient’s condition throughout the exam, procedure or surgery according to the facility’s policies and notify physician and RN of any indication of distress
- Responsible for cleaning room and medical equipment in between each patient and at the end of the day.
- Correctly disposes of infection waste and biohazard materials
- Change dressings on wounds.
- Performs accurate documentation of all procedures in a timely manner
- Maintain patient confidentiality and data integrity in accordance with Health Information Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures in performing job duties and responsibilities while supporting a culture of high quality and excellent customer service
- Participate in department or unit quality improvement activities
Experience, Education and Certification Requirements:
- One (1)+ year experience in a medical setting, dermatology practice preferred
- Current CPR certification
- Medical Assistant certification, preferred