- The Belton Missouri Police Department is currently accepting applications for full time Communications Officers (Dispatchers).
The Communications Unit focuses on customer service, citizen and officer safety and the identification and apprehension of criminal suspects through the use of a variety of highly advanced technology systems. The Police / Fire / EMS Dispatcher acts as a liaison between citizens and police officers during a call for service and/or emergency situation to help ensure the safety of everyone involved by accurately accumulating and relaying important information. They elicit necessary information from callers, via emergency and non-emergency lines, and make decisions regarding the nature of the call and what course of action is required. The dispatcher is also responsible for inputting this information into our Computer Aided Dispatching system via keyboard while at the same time communicating with first responders in the field utilizing a complex two-way radio system. They are also responsible for recording and monitoring all activities and locations throughout the shift while maintaining proper records. Starting base salary for this position is $16.38 per hour or $34,063.54 yearly. The communications center is operated 24x7x365 and dispatchers work 8 hours per shift. Dispatchers work one of three shifts 7 AM to 3 PM, 3 PM to 11 PM or 11 PM to 7 AM as needed by the departments. They may be required to work weekends and holidays.
You must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to apply:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- You must be a US citizen or able to legally work in the United States
- You must be able to accurately type a minimum of 40 words per minute
- You must be able and willing to work various shifts and weekends and holidays.
- You must pass written tests, a background check, physical and drug screens, personality inventory, and CVSA (voice stress analyzer)
Personal attributes that would assist in becoming an effective police/fire/ems dispatcher include the following:
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task under pressure
Applications may either be picked up at the Belton Police Dept- located at 7001 E. 163rd St Belton MO 64012, or send an email to recruitingATbeltonpd.org to have them emailed to you. This posting will be open until all positions are filled.
Completed and signed paperwork may be mailed to the police department or hand delivered. Paperwork may be emailed to recuritingATBeltonpd.org. Faxed applications, or documents will not be accepted. Online resumes will be for review only. For additional information, contact dispatch supervisor Carla Wills at 816.331.1500. Required paperwork is not able to be posted here.
Belton Missouri Police Department
7001 E. 163rd St
Belton, MO 64012
Attn: C Wills
The City of Belton and the Belton Police Department are equal opportunity employers.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $34,063.54 /year