Animal Care Manager
- $20 Hourly
- Paid Time Off
BAHS ANIMAL CARE MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
GENERAL SUMMARY: The BAHS Animal Care Manager will be responsible for cleaning kennels, cages, and shelter facilities; providing daily care to shelter animals; providing daily enrichment and behavior assessments to all BAHS pets, and supervising Animal Care staff.
PAY SCALE: The minimum rate for this position is $20 per hour.
SUPERVISOR: Director of Shelter Veterinary Medicine
- 2 years animal care experience required
- Preference for high volume care & cleaning, ex: sheltering, vet clinic, etc years non-profit experience preferred
- 2 years management experience
- Ability to offer consistent feedback and guidance for direct reports, commitment to coaching and supporting direct reports
- Knowledge of and comfort with cat and dog behaviors
- Experience with creating enrichment and behavior programs for cats and dogs
- Attention to detail
- Must be computer proficient and able to learn shelter software and CRM
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Normal schedule is Tuesday through Saturday, some holidays and Sundays may be required. Maximum hours for this position will be 40 hours per week.
- Knowledge of shelter operations
- Non-profit job experience
- Experience with ShelterLuv, G-suite, and Microsoft Office suite
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills
- Must be highly organized, motivated, and detail-oriented
- Must be organized and able to set priorities
- Must be able to work well in a team environment with the public, co-workers, and volunteers
- Must demonstrate emotional maturity and good judgment
- Must have knowledge of animal breeds and behavior
- Must be committed to the mission, values, and goals of the Belleville Area Humane Society
- Genuinely enjoys working with animals and is able to deal with them even when they are stressed, ill or in pain
- Can work unaffected in an environment where dogs are barking.
- Work requires lifting and carrying animals and food bags (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 50 lbs)
- Walks or stands for extended periods of time; frequently works in a bent position.
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases
- Physical ability to clean
- Must be able to be on your feet for large portions of the day and handle large animals
- Allergies that are aggravated by animals or cleaning supplies may be a disqualification
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions
- Must be able to stand, kneel, walk for up to 8 hours per day
- Must be flexible and willing to help with jobs outside of this job description
- Manage and support Animal Care department employees
- Give suggestions and recommendations regarding hiring, firing and advancement or change of status of employees and volunteers
- Train employees and volunteers in animal care
- Evaluate employees and volunteers and oversee performance reviews
- Set schedules and keep track of staff hours worked, vacation requests, and PTO
- Address volunteer and employee concerns and enforce policies in BAHS' employee handbook
- Participate in strategic discussions and planning of shelter operations that affect animal care, enrichment, and behavior
- Oversee maintenance of an accurate log of all animal care, enrichment, and behavior activities
- Prepare SOPS and Plans for behavior and enrichment of BAHS animals
- Serve with Animal Control and BAHS medical staff to assess animal behavior and select adoptable animals
- Create, train and maintain programs for canine playgroups
- Support volunteer coordinator with managing time and duties of volunteers
- Manage and ensure completion of day to day operations of animal care
- Feed all cats and dogs in accordance with organization policy
- Clean and sanitize all animal spaces in accordance with organizational policy
- Make sure volunteers/ staff check/respond to voicemail and email in a timely manner
- Greet customers, answer phones, and return calls in a courteous manner providing excellent customer service to all clients
- Greet customers as they come into the shelter and provide any necessary assistance including updating and tracking all animal records
- Educate the public about proper animal care, behavior, return calls, and training and take calls related to this from BAHS fosters and BAHS animals as well as alums.
- Provide quality customer service while assisting with animal care, enrichment, and behavior assessment processes
- Assist with giving medication, drawing blood, and other veterinary procedures as necessary
- Rotate animals from indoor spaces to outdoor spaces, all animals should receive specific and specialized attention
- Data reporting
- Prepare database reports via ShelterLuv to provide metrics on enrichment outcomes and to update animal records
- Develop and implement program for animal socialization and enrichment
- Strategically record comprehensive notes on individual and group animal well-being and welfare as related to animal lifestyle
- Utilize data outcomes to improve programs
- Lift and carrying up to 50 lbs (over 50 lbs will have assistance)
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Co-Directors.
This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description does not establish a contract for employment. The Belleville Area Humane Society is an at-will employer.
Belleville Area Humane Society (BAHS)Belleville, IL
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.