BellXcel is the largest evidence-based summer learning provider in the United States and a national leader in PK-8th grade out-of-school education. Founded in 1992, BellXcel closes the achievement gap in underserved communities through its partnerships with schools, school districts, and other youth-serving organizations to reach thousands of students annually across the country.
BellXcel partners design and deploy holistic, scalable summer and afterschool learning experiences utilizing BellXcel’s comprehensive, evidence-based out-of-school-time education solution. Refined and replicated for over 25 years, BellXcel-powered programs blend rigorous literacy and math instruction with hands-on enrichment, social, emotional development, and community engagement.
BellXcel strives to make a difference in the lives of children—called BellXcel scholars—along with their families and teachers. Standardized tests indicate that BellXcel scholars consistently gain the equivalent of two months of classroom instruction in literacy and three months in math skills during the summer program. BellXcel’s summer programs help prevent summer slide, which reverses achievement gains students make during the school year. In addition to academic benefits, BellXcel scholars experience increases in self-confidence and expectations for the future.
BellXcel is headquartered in Massachusetts and operates as a largely virtual organization, with most of its employees working from home offices.
Position Impact on the Organization
Note: This is a fully remote position and can be based in any community within the targeted geography with access to a national airport.
The Sr. Manager, Philanthropic Partnerships serves as the relationship manager for a portfolio of donors and prospects, with a focus on regional opportunities in the western half of the United States (portfolio will include donors and prospects west of the Rockies). This position contributes to a team fundraising goal of approximately $10M/year. The Sr. Manager will actively engage in all aspects of the donor management cycle, from prospecting and cultivation to grant writing, reporting and stewardship. Some travel is expected (when it is safe to do so) to meet with donor prospects and steward relations with accounts in portfolio. The Manager reports to the Senior Director, Philanthropic Partnerships.
As a member of the BellXcel Philanthropy team, the Sr. Manager, Philanthropic Partnerships is responsible for the full fundraising cycle for a portfolio of donors and prospects within their assigned region, from research through stewardship. Additionally, this role is responsible for identifying and qualifying potential donors, and for increasing the number and quality of donors, through networking, research, and relationship management. Specific accountabilities include:
- Conduct research to identify prospective donors, working closely with Philanthropy teammates and colleagues across the organization to identify new areas of opportunity
- Create engagement strategies for a targeted portfolio of corporate and foundation prospects and donors, as assigned by/in partnership with Sr. Director
- Serve as primary liaison to portfolio contacts through ongoing engagement, communication, and touch points
- Participate in meetings and calls, prepare presentation materials, and coordinate follow up activities with donors and prospects
- Support fundraising by BellXcel’s CEO, senior leadership and board members, by providing briefing documents, pitch decks, and meeting/communication coordination
Qualification and Cultivation
Grant Writing and Reporting
- Write high-quality grant proposals, managing multiple deadlines and working collaboratively with other areas of the organization (e.g. Partner Solutions, Finance) to develop supporting information for proposals
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting to donors on the impact of their gift, including gathering information from internal teams (e.g. Finance, Evaluation)
- Develop and manage donor-engagement strategies, with a goal of exceeding donors’ expectations and maximizing renewals
- Plan and coordinate stewardship activities (e.g. site visits, CEO/senior leadership touch points, communications)
- Liaise with Communication Team to identify and coordinate stewardship opportunities through communication platforms, public relations, and social media
Organizational Support / Project Management
- Engage in open, frequent communication with Philanthropy teammates to support BellXcel’s overall fundraising strategy and progress to goal, and to share best practices and lessons learned
- Maintain accurate, timely records in Salesforce to track donor touch points and communication, grant and reporting deadlines, upcoming tasks, and reporting requirements
- Foster positive relationships with internal teams (e.g. Product, Finance, Evaluation) to support fundraising and share best practices
Committed to making an impact in the lives of people BellXcel serves, by engaging funders to invest in expanding the organization’s impact. Specifically, the Sr. Manager, Philanthropic Partnerships should be:
- A strong communicator, able to shape compelling stories and present ideas to diverse audiences
- A rock star at engaging donors—head, heart, hands– and being responsive to them
- Appreciative of and passionate for about education, and excited about how support for BellXcel can transform the lives of children
- Able to adapt to changing conditions within a rapidly-evolving organization
- Dedicated to account management, relationship-building and a strong customer service focus
- Cognizant of the varied needs of funders, partners, and internal collaborators
- Excited about being part of a strong collaborative team and committed to doing what it takes to help your colleagues and the organization
- Conscientious and self-disciplined, able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines and to collaborate in a virtual work environment
- Able to think strategically, analytically, and operationally —you can see the big picture, but also roll up your sleeves to get work done
- Proactive and agile in managing your portfolio
Given the level of engagement expected for this external-facing role with donors, prior experience in fundraising or sales is preferred. Additional required/desired qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 6-8 years of relevant fundraising experience preferred (sales, prospecting or marketing experience may be considered for candidates coming from outside the nonprofit sector)
- Excellent interpersonal/relationship skills, with evidence of a robust professional network
- Strong writing ability, with grant writing experience preferred (a writing sample, or completion of a writing exercise, will be requested)
- Competent in Salesforce.com or comparable donor/CRM database
- Travel varies, likely 10-20% of time, within assigned territory and/or to BellXcel HQ
“Oh, the places you’ll go…”
BellXcel is committed to creating amazing experiences for its employees—believing that an employee’s satisfaction directly reflects on their ability to make a difference in the lives of scholars and partners. We endeavor to consistently and thoughtfully ensure every employee knows the expectations of their role, including how successful performance impacts our mission, and the future growth and development opportunities available at BellXcel.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
[ST2]Moved this to the top of the listing, but it can go back into the paragraph below if that’s better