Requisition ID: 222332
Career growth opportunities available to self-motivated, high performing Environmental/Sustainability Specialistseeking technical/leadership challenges in the process design of Oil, Gasand Chemicals (OG&C) projects.
Responsible for integration of environmental issues and requirements into proposals, planning documents, permit applications, design specifications and criteria, construction plans and schedules, bid specifications, and subcontract packages for Bechtel projects. Has technical responsibility for interpreting complex requirements, evaluating and applying appropriate scientific/environmental engineering principles, and formulating scopes of work, plans, and methodologies suitable for achieving and maintaining compliance with environmental requirements. Provides technical assistance to other Environmental Engineering personnel assigned to projects and other project functions. May be assigned as a technical lead for a specific task(s) or serve as a Project Regulatory/Environmental/Community Relations Lead on several projects or as a Project Environmental/Regulatory/Sustainability Supervisor on medium or large project. Must be fluent (written and verbal) in English language.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives technical and administrative supervision from the Regulatory Approvals Manager and Sustainability Manager. If assigned full-time on a project, receives supervision and work assignments from the Sustainability Manager, Environmental Engineering Chief, Project ES&H Manager, Project Manager, or Construction Manager.
- May directly supervise other environmental scientists/engineers and provide technical oversight and direction to environmental subcontractors.
- Maintains relationships with internal Bechtel organizations (e.g., Engineering, Construction, and Subcontracts), customer, and contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate technical/scientific issues, new technologies, and integration of environmental and sustainability responsibilities into project proposals, design specifications, construction plans and schedules, and subcontractor bid packages.
- Maintains contact, as appropriate, with government regulatory and resource agencies to obtain current information on new regulations, program initiatives, and technical requirements and standards.
- Maintains contact with other environmental and sustainability personnel (e.g., Project Environmental Lead) to keep them informed of changing requirements and to provide technical assistance as needed.
- Maintains contact with customers to exchange information on environmental, regulatory and sustainability issues, technical information, and new technologies.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Permitting and regulatory compliance support for US and international projects, including development of permit matrices and regulatory/environmental compliance matrix.
- Development of sustainability requirements for projects, including requirements for inclusion in project execution plans.
- Provide regulatory and sustainability input for proposals.
- Coordinate implementation of OG&C sustainability strategy initiatives in the Houston office.
- Works with global business units on bid decisions, proposal development, and estimates (scope, constraints, schedules, budgets) with respect to integration and compliance with environmental requirements.
- Provides technical support to feasibility studies, site assessment studies, and project risk assessments.
- When assigned as Environmental/Sustainability Lead, responsible for coordinating appropriate consideration of environmental requirements with (Sub)Contracts, Engineering, and Construction personnel.
- Provides environmental technical support and assistance to Bechtel projects and coordinates environmental requirements and formulation of mitigation measures with project-assigned Environmental and Sustainability personnel, engineering leads, construction supervision/management and onsite ES&H representatives during construction.
- Participates in meetings with customers, project team members, and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of environmental requirements that may affect project design, schedule, and cost.
- Responsible for drafting Permitting Plans, project specific mitigation plans, environmental awareness training programs, and technical reports.
- Provides recommendations and input for revising environmental engineering and sustainability procedures, work processes, and other quality improvement measures.
- Conducts environmental compliance inspections of project construction activities to monitor compliance with environmental requirements including contractual commitments, permits, and the project’s CECP.
- May be assigned as a full-time environmental/sustainability lead on a medium to large project, or as environmental/sustainability supervisor on multiple smaller projects.
- When in supervisory role, implements personnel policies (e.g., conducts employee performance evaluations) and provides technical direction to staff.
- Must be fluent inEnglish.
- Advanced knowledge in a field of science, environmental engineering, or related discipline.
- Knowledge of environmental sciences/engineering systems, principles, and methodologies.
- Knowledge of national and international environmental laws/regulations and regulatory/resource agencies’ permitting processes and responsibilities, industry standards for environmental compliance, and best management practices for minimizing potential environmental impacts during project execution.
- Knowledge of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) requirements and experience with FERC permitting applications.
- Knowledge of engineering and construction systems, methods, and work processes.
- Knowledge of construction planning, estimating, procedures, and execution.
- Experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of environmental subcontractors or consultants.
- Experience in environmental monitoring and compliance inspection during construction.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials and waste management, erosion and sediment control methods, and restoration techniques.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s organization structure, functions, and administrative procedures is desirable.
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of Bechtel standard computer applications is desirable.
- Bachelor of Science degree in life sciences (e.g., biology, ecology, forestry) or physical sciences (e.g., geology, meteorology), or Environmental Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Prior practical work experience in office settings (e.g., managing environmental programs, budgets and staff) and field environments (e.g., construction execution and/or operating facilities) performing the responsibilities listed above.
Minimum 8 years of experience
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.