Assistant Project Engineer, Systems Integration
- Requisition ID: 271925
- Relocation Authorized: National - Family
- Telework Type: Full-Time Office/Project
- Work Location: Reston, VA
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customer’s objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; Mining and Metals; and Manufacturing and Technology markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values-ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants-integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers expect, and how we deliver.
Bechtel and Westinghouse Electric Company have partnered to deliver the first AP1000 nuclear power reactors in Poland for our customer, the Polish Entity Polskie Elektrownie Jadrowe (PEJ). Bechtel will be the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contractor for the project. As the EPC, our responsibilities will include providing the design for the Turbine Island and Balance of Plant as well as the construction of the entire facility.
This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity, and we are looking for the talent that will help expand Poland’s nuclear base and build a strong and long-lasting energy future for generations to come.
As the Assistant Project Engineer, Systems Integration, you will be responsible for supervising engineers and leading the systems engineering activities performed on the project. The successful candidate must have strong organizational and teamwork skills, proven problem-solving abilities, can-do attitude, and the desire to innovate designs. This position will be involved in reviews and approves key systems engineering documents and must have a broad knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, and design criteria pertinent to engineering.
The selected candidate is required to have a good knowledge of Bechtel’s administrative practices and supervisory experience. Additionally, the ideal candidate must have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), can be the “face” of Bechtel, promoting our leadership, quality, and safety values, to external partners including vendors, construction companies, and other subcontractors.
This role will be based in Reston, VA, with periodic business travel to Poland offices and sites as required.
- Build an inclusive team environment where all are able and expected to contribute to the maximum of their capabilities. Provide leadership and mentoring to team members. Create meaningful goals working with the team and ensure goals are met.
- Manage the preparation and approve systems engineering work products.
- Manage work process execution and assure technical adequacy in accordance with company, contract, and industry codes and standards.
- Manage work to schedule and budget under an Earned Value Management System (EVMS) using innovative methods to accelerate work when possible and using change control when needed.
- Supervise the day-to-day technical work of discipline systems engineers, scientists, specialists, and technologists.
- Manage the preparation and approve system and facility design requirement documents.
- Manage system-level requirements validation and verification processes which includes test specifications, acceptance criteria, and requirements flow down /traceability.
- Manage the systems engineering discipline estimates and work plan in accordance with project scope, schedule and budget.
- Manage periodic assessments to validate implementation and traceability of requirements into design.
- Manage the preparation of impact analyses for proposed requirement changes.
- Coordinate and facilitate technical discussions to resolve system design issues.
- Coordinate directly with client and regulatory representatives.
Qualifications and Skills
- BS degree in Systems Engineering or other engineering field from an accredited university or college with thirteen (13) years of progressive related experience and a minimum of 4 years of experience in a leadership or supervisory role.
- At least 5 years of experience performing functional analysis and system design and in documenting system requirements and operations.
- Must be authorized to live and work in the US without sponsorship.
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Possess active security clearance or ability to obtain security clearance.
- International Council of Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) (or ability to obtain within 12 months).
- U.S. Professional Engineering License (or ability to obtain within 12 months).
- Prior experience working in a Nuclear Quality and Safety Environment.
- Experience in nuclear plant design (power plant or DOE facility).
- Possess a detailed understanding of Systems Engineering principles and methods, requirements management principles, and methods.
- Experience facilitating multi-discipline meetings to resolve technical and related requirements compliance issues.
- Knowledge of industry and regulatory guides, codes, and standards and their influence on design.
- Experience in working with procedures meeting quality assurance programs such as ASME-NQA-1, MIL-Q-9858A, or ISO-9000.
- Proven leadership or supervisory experience.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Experience working with systems engineering tools, such as IBM® Rationale DOORS® or Innoslate by Spec Innovations on a project.
- International Council of Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Certification.
- Familiar with implementation of nuclear safety and requirements in design.
- Experience working on a large, complex EPC contract.
- Experience in performing design and/or requirements change impact analysis.
- Previous Bechtel experience on DOE or DOD projects.
- Experience with AP1000 Nuclear Power Plant Design.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Bechtel employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or show proof of a negative test result prior to accessing Bechtel sites/facilities to the extent required by applicable law or by customer requirements.
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.