Beacon Resources, in partnership with our client near El Segundo, CA, seeks a Director of Accounting and Finance to join an education-oriented company. For the professional who wants some stability in these turbulent times, look at this role.
Job – This Director of Accounting and Finance will be involved in financial planning and analysis, full-cycle corporate accounting functions, including financial statement prep and reporting, audit, overseeing financial closes, journal entries, credit card reconciliations, and account reconciliations. You will also pitch in whenever needed in Operations. You will report to the CEO.
You will be doing a lot of the day-to-day work at this organization, so for the Director/Manager who heavily delegates work and prefers to simply strategize, this is not the role for you.
Culture – You will join a company with a heavy emphasis on a can-do attitude in order to accomplish its laudable mission to educate youth. You will join an organization with excellent work life balance and supportive leadership.
Compensation/Benefits– Starting salary for this role starts at $125,000/year and increases depending on qualifications. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, and a couple of retirement plan options.
DUTIES OF THE DIRECTOR OF ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
General Ledger (G/L) Accounting
- Handle all core corporate accounting functions, including posting all relevant entries (journal, accruals) and inventory transactions (depreciation, asset)
- Prepare journal entries and perform monthly balance sheet reconciliations
- Handle all inventory, purchasing issues, production, sales, expenses, and liabilities
- Supervise fixed asset accounting tasks (taking stock of property, plant, and equipment)
- Manage a team of two accounting clerks
- Administer and classify grants, including expenditure analysis and approval. (Unrestricted awards, restricted awards, cost reimbursable grants, in-kind contributions, agency transactions, split interest agreements, and conditional contributions)
- Ensure adherence to local, state, and federal guidelines and regulations
- Analyze program budgets
Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A)
- Create the Annual Operating Budget
- Forecast cash flow
- Analyze variances between projected and actual expenses and revenues
- Ad-hoc reporting
- Review all payroll functions including 401K and health insurance
- Identify opportunities to innovate and streamline operational processes
- Assist in implementation of all possible financial and accounting procedures and systems
- Work with HR Manager to ensure that HR practices, contracts and operations are in place
- Oversee all banking relationships
- Ensure timely receipt of outstanding invoices
- Assist in all internal and external audits
- Assist in all compliance issues, including all legal requirements
- Assist in all tax issues
- Maintain all insurance policies
- Accept ad hoc projects
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE DIRECTOR OF ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
- Bachelor’s in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or equivalent work experience
- General Ledger (G/L) accounting experience
- Budgeting and forecasting experience
- At least ten (10) years of work experience
- Small to mid-sized company experience (less than $500 million in annual revenue)
- Either a CPA or MBA
- Prior software implementation experience
- Current or previous work experience in the educational industry
SKILLS OF THE DIRECTOR OF ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
- Expert-Level proficiency in Microsoft Excel (v-lookups, pivot tables, IF Formulas)
- Detail oriented, with high level of ethics and integrity
- Team builder
- Strong communication skills
- Works well independently
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
Roll up your sleeves type of manager and not a delegator
For further information, submit your resume in MS Word format to me. I will hold all inquiries in the strictest confidence.