Baywood Court is committed to seniors so they may age in health, happiness and dignity.
We are a very active non-profit, multi-level retirement community nestled in Castro Valley in search of motivated individuals with a willingness to learn and the desire to make a positive impact on the residents that live within our community.
Position available for a full time Maintenance Technician (must be available to work on weekends).
We are a 24/7 facility therefore one must be able to work weekends and holidays as required.
All applicants are required to complete and pass a drug screening, physical exam with tuberculosis (TB) skin test, and criminal clearance through FBI and Department of Justice. The background search includes minor misdemeanors and DUIs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs general repairs throughout the facility (i.e. broken windows, loose handrails, etc.).
- Performs preventative maintenance work on various types of equipment and appliances (i.e. vacuums, washers, dryers, trash compactor, kitchen appliances), plumbing checks and minor repairs.
- Ensures all interior and exterior fixtures are in good working order (i.e. handrails, woodwork, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, etc.).
- Services the grounds and all building mechanical systems.
- Responsible for completion of all phases of apartment interior and exterior patching and painting as well as other areas of the facility.
- Responsible for the timely completion of occupied apartment service requests in accordance with property standards.
- Assists residents with personal furnishings, wall hangings, and other mounted objects.
- Fulfills work order requests in a timely manner submitted by Baywood Court residents and staff.
- Moves furniture and equipment as needed for set up of meetings, special events, etc.
- Performs various cleaning tasks as required.
- Completes all other assignments and perform all other tasks as directed by management.
- Maintains all tools, equipment and supplies in proper condition.
- Adheres to all Baywood Court policies and procedures. Implements company policies as they relate to resident service and dietary department operations.
- Participates in company-sponsored training programs.
- Represents the facility with enthusiasm, professionalism and business like appearance and demeanor to all residents and guests and prospective residents and the community.
- Be knowledgeable on our facility features, amenities and services as well as facility safety, infection control, security and emergency equipment and procedures.
- Maintain the confidentiality of proprietary Baywood Court information.
- Correct and report safety hazards within the immediate work areas, dining room, kitchen, bathrooms, lobby and surrounding areas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to read, speak, write, understand and follow instructions in English in order to effectively communicate with staff and residents, maintain safety in the workplace and understand appropriate codes and technical manuals.
- Demonstrated skills in general maintenance tasks and troubleshooting mechanical and electrical systems.
- Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance..
- Ability to work independently and in close cooperation with residents, guests, visitors, families, supervisor and peers. Requires courtesy, tact and graciousness.
- Possess a sense of urgency, attention to detail and quality, able to function in a high volume multi-tasking environment; team player.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum two years experience in most areas of apartment maintenance; plumbing, electricity, painting, drywall, floor coverings, carpentry, appliance maintenance, pools and spas, roof and safety equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Moderate to heavy physical effort
- may be exposed to the elements (heat, cold, rain)
- work in areas with high voltage electricity, hazardous equipment and moving parts
- work on roof top and other high places
- climbing ladders with tools and equipment necessary for assigned work
- must be able to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds and occasional lifting of objects over fifty pounds
- must be able to walk, stand and stoop for an extended period of time (over 80% of the time)
- exposure to a variety of chemicals and dust daily
- may be exposed to the HBV and HIV viruses.
During a time when over 20 million people nationwide have filed for unemployment, Baywood Court is continuing to keep our staff employed with full benefits. Our facility has not had to layoff one member of our team; we value our staff and we are reciprocating the commitment they’ve made to Baywood Court and to the residents.
Our dedicated team takes great strides daily by following protocols put in place to prevent or reduce transmission of the virus by practicing the below diligently:
• Daily temperature checks for all individuals entering the facility;
• Screening questionnaire all individuals complete to be allowed entry into the facility;
• Entry is limited to visitors - they must have a valid purpose to enter;
• All employees and residents are wearing face coverings in public areas;
• Social distancing as the job allows (exception of staff who provide direct care to residents);
• Strict hand-washing policy – all individuals must wash hands immediately upon entry into the building;
• Increased cleaning and disinfecting throughout the facility;
• Misting is done throughout the facility with the use of Vital Oxide, an EPA-registered, non-irritating hospital disinfectant cleaner that kills 99.999% of bacteria in less than 60 seconds.
We understand this is a scary, uncertain time for many. Everyday is a new day and we are working hard to keep a positive outlook. We’ve implemented flexibility with schedules, extend many resources to our employees related to COVID, remote work opportunities for certain positions, theme dress up days (Disney, sports day, Hawaiian day, etc.), special food treats, relief care packages for each staff member, a virtual mask fashion show with prizes! and gift card giveaways, cash out of their paid time off and more. We hope you will consider joining our team of committed employes! Be well.