Position Title:Waste Management Professional
Location:Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory – Berkeley, Ca.
Rate:$140.00 hourly + Medical, Dental/Vision Benefits
Contract Details: 40 hours + a week, 1 year DOE Contract with Possible Extension or Employee Conversion
Reporting to a manager in the Environment, Waste and Radiation Protection (EWRP) Department, the incumbent has responsibilities for waste management in assigned areas and activities at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). Works under consultative direction and applies a recognized expertise in waste management theories, concepts and practices, plus a broad knowledge of related disciplines to providing technical field support as well as to the establishment and maintenance of related technical programs.
Under consultative direction the incumbent applies expertise in creative and effective ways to solve a broad range of very difficult and complex problems pertaining to waste management as implemented at the LBNL to facilitate research and operations. Tasks include but are not limited to providing technical subject matter expertise to resolve issues related to hazardous, radioactive, mixed, universal and medical wastes as well as other waste streams as applicable to LBNL operations and managing regulatory and site required documents such as policies, procedures and technical basis documents to ensure LBNL waste management programs meet all regulatory requirements.
Job duties/responsibilities: The Contractor shall provide an employee for the following services as requested by LBNL:
• Develop, implement and work within established programs related to hazardous, radioactive, mixed, universal and as well as other waste streams.
• Support the development of initial preliminary strategies and initial logistic planning for sequencing characterization, decommissioning, sorting, packaging, and disposition of generated waste materials.
• Review process knowledge evaluations, site assessments, design specifications and laboratory data as needed to support the development of characterization plans to identify estimated waste stream types and quantities to ensure compliant onsite waste management and off-site disposal sites Waste Acceptance Criteria.
• Review written documents and perform oversight activities regarding the safe and compliant implementation of applicable waste management regulations, policies, processes, procedures, training courses and qualification processes to support.
• Oversee as required, the development of preliminary waste management programs, plans, policies, applicable standards and procedures, including, but not limited to: hazardous, radioactive, mixed, and/or universal waste to support on-site waste management and disposal.
• Independently conduct comprehensive assessments and audits to assure waste accumulation and storage areas are compliant with regulatory requirements, including but not limited to labeling, packaging, storage time limits, profiling, sampling, etc.
• Develop written documents such as training course materials, regulatory interpretations, compliance findings and other deliverables as assigned.
• Oversee waste generating activities and waste generators' responsibilities regarding on-site waste management and disposal pathways.
• Review hazardous waste manifests and LBNL waste disposal requisitions for completeness and accuracy to include Department of Transportation (DOT), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and operating protocols.
Skills required: The Contractor shall provide experienced and trained personnel for this position The preferred candidate should possess:
• Demonstrated experience of ability to apply Environmental Protection Agency / California state codes to laboratory hazardous wastes and/or demonstrated experience of ability to manage of regulated demolition/construction waste streams.
• DOT Certification and knowledge of DOT regulations is desirable
• Demonstrated experience of radiological and mixed wastes management requirements
Proof of minimum requirements is required for any technical personnel not previously evaluated by LBNL and must include the following: Name, position, degree(s) active registration/certification/licenses, and types of experience with years of experience.