Position Title: Administrative Assistant III
Location: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory - Berkeley, Ca.
Contract type: 1 Year + Possible Permanent Conversion
Pay Rate: $37.72 Hourly + Medical, Dental, Vision Benefits
Berkeley Lab’s Earth & Environmental Sciences Division has an opening for a Administrative Assistant 3. The incumbent will provide administrative support to the Earth & Environmental Sciences Area (EESA) as part of EESA Operations (AUOP). You will provide a comprehensive range of specialized administrative services requiring considerable judgment and initiative. The incumbent will be expected to apply highly specialized knowledge to ensure that EESA is successful in supporting its 200+ staff, guests, student population.
You will provide a wide range of administrative support to EESA leadership and staff and be expected to be well versed in all aspects of the AAIII role in order to provide adequate backup support for other team members in the functional areas of: Administration, Finance, Human Resources, Office Space, Public Affairs, Safety and General Operations.
What You Will Do:
● Act as the first point of contact for external and internal customers of EESA.
● Provide daytoday administrative support to staff and guests, Division’s Business Center Resources, and Department and Division Leadership.
● Provide guidance and training to ensure compliance with various administrative and general business processes.
● Orient Staff and Affiliates to resources. Create and maintain filing systems.
● Act as a backup for administrative personnel at other locations.
● Will be responsible for coordinating fully hosted seminars and meetings.
● Coordinating the Distinguished Scientist Seminar Series, Modeling Forums, interview itineraries, and other group organized events.
● Responsible for ensuring general calendar is up to date and is a resource for planning purposes throughout the Division. Support all aspects of event planning.
● Organize and plan/manage events/meetings: identify hotel and meeting space, dates, AV, meal, special shuttle, evening dinner needs, logistics, travel, accommodations, and transportation needs.
● Create Event Approval Request.
● Act as a Property Coordinator. Update property databases with new custodian assignments, property passes; support annual inventory review.
● Support the Procurement (ePRO) Requisition Process.
● Represent the Division on a variety of councils and committees within and external to the Division as assigned.
● On a routine basis, incumbent will track and maintain accurate data and reports.
● Ensure accurate and timely completion of activities associated with various financial and administrative responsibilities in response to funding sponsors, the Institution, the Division, and Division Program level requirements.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
● Work on special projects for senior management or other activities as assigned by your Supervisor and/or Business Manager.
● Lead or provide direction to support personnel. Serve as a team/ project leader on administrative projects
What Is Required:
● This opportunity requires a confident team player with excellent interpersonal/customer service skills and a minimum of 6 years of relevant administrative assistant experience.
● Must be able to work effectively with a diverse range of people.
● Works independently and as a part of a team that includes individuals of various levels within the organization.
● Strong computer skills at an intermediate to advanced level, including Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and calendaring systems.
● Confidentiality and discretion skills are a must.
● Experience with administrative and financial transactions and documentation (such as procurements, travel); working with financial/nonfinancial data (such as office metrics, publications and citations databases); planning conferences and meetings; processing routine HR actions (time keeping, employee and guest hire forms); interacting with general office activities.
● Strong skills with demonstrated abilities to independently operate within a front office environment.
● Strong skills with a great interest in working with accessing, relating, inputting and maintaining databases with a demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize data into charts, graphs, and queries using various software applications.
● Demonstrated independent and sound problemsolving and decisionmaking skills and the ability to suggest and implement new ways of providing efficient and costeffective support services.
● Advanced written and verbal communication skills and ability to independently compose standard correspondence and other administrative letters, email, etc. Demonstrates advanced administrative skills including accurate and excellent proofreading, editing and grammar skills.
● Advanced computer experience with computer programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Acrobat; must be able to produce highquality, errorfree documents. Knowledge of calendaring tools, email, the web environment, EndNote is desirable.
● Ability to learn quickly, be a critical thinker, ask questions or verify instructions.
● Ability to function independently as well as part of a team and take direction from other administrative assistants, work leads, supervisor, and EESA customers in general.
● Ability to conduct work at multiple locations, travel to various onsite locations and be mobile.
● Ability to work occasional overtime, to respond quickly, and maintain flexibility during periods of changing work priorities and tight time constraints.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
● Experience in or familiarity with DOE, Lab, or University of California policies and procedures, preferred.
● Experience working in a strong safety culture.
● Knowledge of relevant LBNL policies and procedures.
● Knowledge of LBNL systems (such as Asset Management System, ePRO, eBUY, TREX) or PeopleSoft.