Bay Language Academy (B.L.A) is looking for a motivated, enthusiastic and dynamic Spanish-speaking teacher for our multi-language center. Position available for January 2020. If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to the address below.
Salary commensurate with education, years of teaching and contact with the students.
Founded eight years ago, Bay Language Academy is located in Alameda, less than half hour ferry ride from San Francisco, adjacent to Oakland.
B.L. A, has highly trained tri-lingual or quadri-lingual faculty, and enthusiastic and supportive parent community. Our Language Center currently have students age 3 to 82 from Pre-Primary through adults.
We offer French, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean and Arabic formal and informal exposure to the languages and to the culture that they convey. Art and cooking demos are offered to reinforce the learning.
The ideal candidate is an experienced, energetic, innovative and accomplished Spanish teacher, familiar with numerous modalities of instruction in which learning is collaborative, creative, relevant, multi-modal and multi-sensory. S/he understands child development and takes a positive/interactive approach to teaching and learning.
- Use the curriculum available at Bay Language Academy and establish lesson plans with the director/team members;
- Experience with differentiated instruction for all students;
- Extensive knowledge of the diverse cultures;
- Implement activities that blend language acquisition with youth development;
- Focus on content and language that is relevant to the children. Build a positive attitude toward language acquisition;
- Ability to articulate the Spanish program and to exercise daily flexibility by wearing many hats, prioritizing, and problem solving while maintaining a poised professional demeanor;
- Capacity to focus on the whole child, intentionally developing each individual academically, physically, emotionally, and socially;
- Maturity, professionalism, and good judgment;
- Willingness and capacity to assume a wide range of responsibilities;
- Interested in learning new skills and engaged in continuous improvement of practice;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and best practices and ability to utilize sound and developmentally appropriate educational practices related to technology;
- Maintain complete and accurate records;
- Teach a range of levels in the Middle/High levels and possibly elementary age students using creative and artistic teaching methods;
- Understand child development and love of children;
- Maintain and support a climate of mutual respect which encourages students to take healthy risks: asking questions, sharing opinions, and making mistakes necessary to learn;
- Accurately assess each student's progress; inform student, parents, lead teacher, and the Head of School immediately of any relevant information;
- Cultivate each student's creativity, intellectual curiosity, social-emotional development in an academically rich and relevant context;
- Implement TPRS, Reader’s Theater, songs, art, and others;
- Use developmentally appropriate technology relevant to teaching;
- Plan and implement a Scope and Sequence Curriculum guide to include skill areas of listening, speaking, reading, writing, presentation, and cultural competency;
- Facilitate positive classroom management strategies;
- Practice professionalism through ongoing professional development, reflection and continuous improvement;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural team;
- Ability to promote feelings of security and trust in with student;
A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree is required for consideration, as well as a higher level Spanish background.
Teaching credentials are a plus but are not mandatory
Experience with students with learning differences is a plus as well as mentoring experience.
The ideal candidate is outgoing, well organized, competent in basic computer skills, and is an individual who is eager to work in a highly dynamic, energetic school setting.
Candidate must be prepared to teach and tutor material at an elementary and middle school levels immediately
PRE -EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS:
TB test, background/fingerprint clearance, provide at least three professional references
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.