Bay Language Academy is expanding and is seeking more part-time aspiring Mandarin INSTRUCTORS/TEACHERS for position(s) with immediate opening:
Please note that we only consider applicants who are eligible to work in the US and who are physically present in the area at time of interview.
THE MANDARIN TEACHER WILL
- • Teach a range of levels within several small group settings
- • Implement TPRS, songs, art, among others
- • Implement a sequence curriculum to include all four pillars of language learning: listening, speaking, reading, writing as well as presentation, and intercultural knowledge
- • Facilitate positive classroom management strategies
- • Use developmentally appropriate technology relevant to teaching Languages
- • Work collaboratively with colleagues as a team
- • Additional duties as assigned
• Experience with implementing differentiated and integrated curricula
• Willingness and capacity to assume a wide range of responsibilities
• Maintain and support a climate of mutual respect, which encourages students to take healthy risks: asking questions, sharing opinions, and making mistakes necessary to learn.
• Practice culturally responsive teaching
• Ability to utilize sound and developmentally appropriate educational practices related to technology.
• Readiness & willingness to learn - Our Academy has an accelerated way of teaching and would need a teacher who is open to change & learning new teaching styles.
• Commitment - Our training process is extensive and we would like to hire instructors who are looking at this as a career and not as a job to get by with
• Punctuality - It is imperative to be on time because of class timings and structure, so punctuality is a must
• Focus on content and language that is relevant to the children. Build a positive attitude toward language acquisition.
• Integrate sports, games, science, and arts & crafts with language development.
• Participate and encourage positive participation of all students in daily activities and events.
• Demonstrate flexibility and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, families and other service providers
• Differentiate language classes and activities in order to meet various abilities, skills and ages.
• Professionalism, flexibility and a good attitude
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to follow a curriculum and to articulate the Mandarin program
• Capacity to focus on the whole child, intentionally developing each individual academically, physically, emotionally, and socially.
• Ability to exercise daily flexibility by prioritizing, and problem solving
• Willingness to embrace global thinking and learning that helps expand circles of influence by seeking geographic and cultural opportunities that grow students’ cultural competency.
• Native or near-native fluency in the language with pedagogy experience
• Demonstrate flexibility and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and families
• Love of children and understanding of child development
• Collaborative, creative, and curious nature
• Maturity, professionalism, and good judgment
• Interested in learning new skills and engaged in continuous improvement of practice
• Accurately assess each student's progress; inform student, parents, lead teacher, and the Head of School immediately of any relevant information.
• Cultivate each student's creativity, intellectual curiosity, social-emotional development in an academically rich and relevant context.
LOCATION AND SCHEDULE:
- Classes are held in Alameda.
- Shifts for adults classes are variable (late morning/ afternoons and/or evenings);
- Classes for children between 1PM and 6:30PM, depending on days and languages;
- Flexible schedule, work between three and five days a week;
- Periodic training and staff meetings with the Director.
We are looking for individuals with the following requirements.
· Have excellent communication skills, ability to handle multiple priorities and resolve issues and challenges creatively;
· Be fingerprinted and cleared through a Live Scan background check (FBI & DOJ);
· Receive a negative TB-test result;
· Display strong oral and written communication skills;
· Display strong problem solving skills and positive work ethics;
· Be responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day operation of program at the Academy;
· Bilingual or trilingual individuals (is a plus);
· Background in education and prior experience teaching (Bachelor’s degree or Master degree in education or related field or individuals with experience and/or passion for interacting with youth);
· Experience in traditional or non-traditional setting;
· Strong skills in classroom management.
About The Academy:
Bay Language Academy is a foreign language program based in Alameda offering classes in Alameda and beyond. We offer innovative and fun classes in French, Spanish, Mandarin, English, Korean, Italian and Arabic for adults and younger students (K through 12).
Bay Language Academy's objective is to offer our ethnically diverse and rich community language learning opportunities with a balanced theory and practice curriculum as we are as mindful of your child's social and emotional needs as his academic growth. Our philosophy is to adapt a set of classroom practices rather than one and only teaching method with the goal to link classroom language learning with language activities outside the classroom.
Interviews to be conducted on October 21, 22 and 23, 2019
This job description is intended to describe the general requirements for the position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operations of the department.