Mechanical Design Engineer
Bay Area Environmental Research Institute Palmdale, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
- $90,000 Yearly
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life_insurance, medical, vision
NSRC Mechanical Design Engineer Position Description
The Bay Area Environmental Research (BAER) Institute, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization focused on enabling and conducting research in earth and space science, is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer for The National Suborbital Research Center (NSRC).
NSRC Organization Function:
The National Suborbital Research Center (NSRC) provides science instrument integration engineering, data display system and satellite communications system support, and aircraft facility instrumentation to the NASA Airborne Science Program fleet of aircraft. This includes providing support to numerous aircraft platforms at various NASA centers across the country, including the NASA DC-8, P3-B, ER-2, and G-III programs, as well as supporting significant ground-based infrastructure for these aircraft. NSRC also provides training and communications for the Airborne Science Program including organizing the NASA Student Airborne Research Program (SARP), providing support for Mission Tools Suite for Education (MTSE), and providing content for the Airborne Science Program website and blog.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will work with other engineering staff as well as work independently on various projects to perform detail component and assembly-level mechanical design, create and archive required installation drawings/documentation, and perform/document structural analysis for various science instrument and aircraft-related installations on multiple NASA airborne science aircraft. This position will also be responsible for coordinating fabrication, assembly, and final installation of these designs, and will be required to present design data/concepts to an airworthiness review board to gain flight approval.
Candidate must possess strong communication skills and must be a team player, as day-to-day activities require interacting with the airborne science team as well as the aircraft personnel and the NSRC engineers.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will receive optional training in order to fill the role as a NASA Mission Director for the Airborne Science Program, and assist with aircraft operations during aircraft field campaigns.
This position is based in Palmdale, CA with some periodic travel to other NASA centers, and mission deployment locations both domestic and international.
This position will be an at will, regular, full-time position.
· Minimum BS Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
· Significant previous experience in mechanical design
· Strong working knowledge of common mechanical component fabrication and general aerospace design/fabrication processes
· Strong background in one or more industry standard 3D CAD tools such as Autodesk Inventor (preferred), SolidWorks, Creo, CATIA, etc., for conceptual design and creating 2D detail/assembly drawings
· Strong background utilizing classical stress analysis techniques
· Experience with finite element analysis principles and software (ANSYS preferred)
· Strong background in compressible fluid flow principles
· Must be proficient with Microsoft Windows operating system and the Microsoft Office suite of business applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Strong organizational skills
· Strong leadership skills
· Employee must be a self-starter, able to assess requirements and respond to them with minimal supervision
· Must be able to function well in a research team environment
· Must be able to work on aircraft in flight for long periods of time
· Must be able to occasionally work irregular schedules, including night shifts as required
· Must be able to pass criminal history and Federal background checks
· Must be able to meet medical qualifications to support flight operations
· Must be able to perform physical assembly tasks and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
· Must be able to occasionally work in confined spaces, such as aircraft cargo compartments
· Must have, or be able to obtain, a U.S. driver's license
· MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
· Experience with common military and aerospace specifications
· Aerospace structural design/fabrication experience
· Experience with engineering calculation software (e.g., Mathcad)
· Experience with computational fluid dynamics
· Understanding of fundamental electrical design principles
· Basic electrical wiring design/fabrication skills
Salary & Benefits
This position is being offered at a starting salary of $90,000+ per year, depending on experience. Compensation includes a competitive base salary along with health insurance benefits (including medical, dental, prescription drug, vision, disability, and life insurance benefits), ten paid holidays annually, a generous vacation and sick-time accrual policy, an employer-funded 403b defined- contribution plan, and eligibility for optional participation in a 403b tax-deferred-annuity plan.
Submit a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your subject line please indicate that this is an application for the Mechanical Design Engineer position with NSRC. All candidates must also provide a list of publications, and a list of at least 3 people willing to provide letters of reference.
Must be a U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, or Foreign National eligible for either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.
The Bay Area Environmental Research Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
If you have a disability that requires accommodation, please contact Samantha McCarthy of the BAER Institute Human Resources Office at email@example.com.
The Bay Area Environmental Research (BAER) Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have received numerous grants and contracts from NASA and other federal and state agencies for scientific research. BAER Institute prides itself on providing a comfortable and supportive home for its researchers. We are continually looking for qualified, enthusiastic employees.
Bay Area Environmental Research (BAER) Institute is a growing, non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and conducting research in science, particularly atmospheric and space science. Since its establishment in 1993, BAER has become well recognized nationally for its significant contributions to various fields of scientific research. BAER’s clientele include various federal government agencies, and BAER has had a long-standing collaborative relationship with NASA. The Institute’s research and program leadership activities with NASA include work with both the Earth Science and Space Science Divisions at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View. BAER has developed and maintained an outstanding reputation for its project management, financial reporting, and program and partnership development capabilities as well as for its resourcefulness in providing expert scientists, researchers, and support staff for mission-critical Agency projects.
Bay Area Environmental Research InstituteWhy Work Here?
Awesome benefits, interesting people
ABOUT BAY AREA ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE Bay Area Environmental Research (BAER) Institute is a growing, non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and conducting research in science, particularly atmospheric and space science. Since its establishment in 1993, BAER has become well recognized nationally for its significant contributions to various fields of scientific research. BAER’s clientele include various federal government agencies, and BAER has had a long-standing collaborative relationship with NASA. The Institute’s research and program leadership activities with NASA include work with both the Earth Science and Space Science Divisions at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View. BAER has developed and maintained an outstanding reputation for its project management, financial reporting, and program and partnership development capabilities as well as for its resourcefulness in providing expert scientists, researchers, and support staff for mission-critical Agency projects.