Network Security Analyst III
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
Battelle delivers when others can't. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients-whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
"From Silicon to Systems" - We are an elite, multi-disciplinary team, bringing together the brightest minds from physics, computer science, electrical engineering, and mathematics to develop unique embedded security solutions for government and industrial customers.
Battelle has been trusted by elite government clients to solve some of the world's hardest security problems. We work in small agile teams to push the bounds of computing technology. Our high-powered labs include specialized software and hardware, so our engineer have everything they need to invent new Cyber solutions.
We encourage new ideas with our large Internal Research and Development (IR&D) program where engineers work on projects they are passionate about. Inventors and innovators are rewarded by our industry-leading intellectual property compensation program. Our group works collaboratively with many parts of Battelle's larger organization on projects ranging from genomics to robotics.
Battelle Cyber Online
Battelle Cyber Challenge: https://battellecyberchallenge.org/
Battelle Cyber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqMuKsqH9wc
Battelle's Cyber team is seeking a Network Security Analyst to lead a team to collect information, identify vulnerabilities, analyze risk to mission, and address cyber security issues in computer networks and systems. The position location is our Chantilly, VA office. Travel to the Pentagon, Columbus OH, and/or other Customer locations may be necessary based on program or customer needs.
A Network Security Analyst at Battelle is an expert on commodity network systems, infrastructure, layered defense and operation of transmission of data across wide area and local networks. Network Security Analysts are experts in the OSI model, anatomy of an attack, and have knowledge of encryption. This job is right if you have a passion for continuous learning and solid understanding of networks, protocols, and cybersecurity in the form of TCP/IP, packet structure, protocol characteristics, troubleshooting anomalous network behavior, and designing solutions with a team of experts operating in a variety of environment, e.g., mobile, deployed, fixed, cloud.
- As part of a project team identify, analyze, remediate vulnerabilities and issues on any network of interest. Conduct full packet capture (PCAP) collection and analysis, network device configuration interpretation and hardening by employing a mobile on-network cyber assessment toolkit by utilizing TAPs, commercial and open-source sensors, and analytic tools.
- Lead on-site surveys, mission planning, and deployment process.
- Maneuver within a network infrastructure to isolate, characterize and categorize network anomalies to help determine root source/root cause.
- Write reports to document observations, remediation, and recommended actions.
- Collaborate with other Battelle teams, e.g., simulating adversarial techniques in a lab
- Ensure pedigree and veracity of data collected.
- Research emerging trends in networking technology and related exploits.
- Provide technical briefings on assessments, testing or experimental results to key stakeholders and leadership.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field with 5 years of experience; or master's degree in related field with 2 years of experience or PhD; or an equivalent combination of education and or experience in a related field.
- Hands on experience with commercial and open-source assessment tools, e.g., Elastic, Security Onion, Zeek, Suricata, Wireshark, etc.
- Experience with configuration management/modification of network devices (routers, switches).
- Experience with DoD Risk Management Framework.
- Understanding of networking and security concepts (e.g., TCP/IP stack, routing, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, intrusion prevention systems).
- Familiarity with IP networking concepts, e.g., virtual private networks, tunneling, layering, defense in depth.
- Understanding of commodity networking applications, e.g., DNS, Active Directory.
- Familiarity with scripting languages to facilitate tool application, e.g., PowerShell, Python.
- Ability to capture and analyze large amounts of network traffic.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to teammates.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top-Secret security clearance.
- Travel may be as frequent as two weeks every two months.
- Extensive experience with Linux, Microsoft Windows desktop and server, as well as virtualization environments like VMwareESXi/vSphere.
- Extensive experience with system administration tasks, e.g., patching, user and domain administration.
- Familiarity with data science and machine learning techniques.
- Knowledge of procedural and object-oriented programming languages.
- Experience with applying frameworks to cyber security, e.g., MITRE ATT&CK, NIST
Battelle has been trusted by elite government clients to solve some of the world's hardest security problems. We work in small agile teams to push the bounds of computing technology. Our high-powered labs include specialized software and hardware, so our engineers have everything they need to invent new Cyber solutions.
Our team is casual putting results over formality. Team members can work flexible hours, and Battelle maintains a 9/80 schedule meaning employees have a chance to take every other Friday off.
We encourage new ideas with our large Internal Research and Development (IRAD) program where engineers work on projects they are passionate about. Inventors and innovators are rewarded by our industry leading IP compensation program. Our group works collaboratively with many parts of Battelle's larger organization on projects ranging from genomics to robotics.
SOME OF THE EXTRAS THAT MAKE WORKING HERE GREAT
- Learn (tuition assistance, paid training) and teach (get published, speak at a conference)
- Software and Intellectual Property development royalty sharing
- Mentorship and learning culture
- Internally funded and guided research projects with large amounts of individual autonomy
- The ability to work from home, if desired, up to 30% of the time
Benefits: Live an Extraordinary Life
We care about your well-being, not just on the job. Battelle offers comprehensive and competitive benefits to help you live your best life.
- Balance life through a compressed work schedule: Most of our team follows a flexible, compressed work schedule that allows for every other Friday off-giving you a dedicated day to accomplish things in your personal life without using vacation time.
- Take time to recharge: You get paid time off to support work-life balance and keep motivated.
- Prioritize wellness: Stay healthy with medical, dental, and vision coverage with wellness incentives and benefits plus a variety of optional supplemental benefits.
- Better together: Coverage for partners, gender-affirming care and health support, and family formation support.
- Build your financial future: Build financial stability with an industry-leading 401(k) retirement savings plan. For most employees, we put in 5 percent whether you contribute or not, and match your contributions on top of that.
- Advance your education: Tuition assistance is available to pursue higher education.
- Flexible work arrangements: You have options for where you work and when you work.
A Work Environment Where You Succeed
For brilliant minds in science, technology, engineering and business operations, Battelle is the place to do the greatest good by solving humanity's most pressing challenges and creating a safer, healthier and more secure world.
You will have the opportunity to thrive in a culture that inspires you to:
- Apply your talent to challenging and meaningful projects
- Receive select funding to pursue ideas in scientific and technological discovery
- Collaborate with world-class experts in an inclusive environment
- Nurture and develop the next generation of scientific leaders
- Give back to and improve our communities
Vaccinations & Safety Protocols
Battelle may require employees, based on job duties, work location, and/or its clients' requirements to follow certain safety protocols and to be vaccinated against a variety of viruses, bacteria, and diseases as a condition of employment and continued employment and to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated. If applicable, Battelle will provide reasonable accommodations based on a qualified disability or medical condition through the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Rehabilitation Act or for a sincerely held religious belief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and related state laws).
Battelle is an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
Create or sign into a ZipRecruiter account, and then apply on the company site¹
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.