Research Associate, Aerobiology (#1665)
Battelle National Biodefense Inst Frederick, MD
- Posted: over a month ago
The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
As part of the NBACC Aerobiology Group, the Research Associate works with an interdisciplinary team of scientists in the National Biological Threat Characterization (NBTCC) to perform laboratory studies examining the physical and pathogenic properties of biological aerosols needed to address questions of national significance in support of biodefense preparedness, response and recovery planning. Specifically, the Research Associate will provide technical support related to generation and sampling/characterization of aerosols for laboratory studies, as well as the development and maintenance of test systems.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline or engineering, and a minimum of 2 years of related experience, or a Master’s degree in biology, chemistry, engineering, physics or a related discipline.
• Experience in one or more of the following areas is required:
o Inhalation toxicology and inhalation exposure
o Aerosol generation and sampling, and control and environmental conditioning of air-flows
o Molecular techniques, such as DNA/RNA extraction and quantification, PCR, and NGS methodologies, and/or microbiological assays to assess the infectivity/viability of microorganisms
• Experience with statistics is desirable.
• Experience utilizing LabView, or related software/hardware, for control of laboratory equipment/processes is desirable.
• Intermediate scientific proficiency in laboratory functions. Possesses the ability to identify issues with laboratory protocols, procedures, and experimental plans.
• Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
• Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
• Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination is desirable.
• Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain and maintain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for DHS, and a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access.
• Participation in the Immunization Program, Medical Surveillance Program and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) is required.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
• Leverages experience to support aerobiology-focused research projects.
• Participates in the testing and evaluation of new technologies and protocols to improve the group's ability to serve its customers.
• Provides input to Project Leads for technical reports.
• Possesses the ability to work on multiple science tasks simultaneously, while performing assignments outside of area of expertise.
• Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
• Follows established procedures on routine work, requires instruction only on new assignments, and is self-sufficient in monitoring and reporting on quality and compliance.
• Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
• With minimal supervision, operates, maintains, and characterizes the performance of equipment ensuring the reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
• Serves as a member of a team in developing, validating and maintaining methods for identifying and characterizing biological threat agents.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Battelle National Biodefense Inst
ScienceView all jobs at Battelle National Biodefense Inst