Network Engineer (#1684)
Battelle National Biodefense Inst Frederick, MD
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
Responsible for the monitoring, maintenance, and management of the network infrastructure controlled by NBACC. Provide support for network infrastructure that is not controlled by NBACC. Additional responsibilities include network infrastructure analysis and design, device hardening, back-up and disaster recovery of all infrastructure devices. Also involved with many aspects of the Windows and VMware systems including OS and application management as well as ticket escalation from Service Desk.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) preferably related to Computer Science or Information Systems and 5-7 years' experience managing Cisco devices.
• Industry recognized certifications such as CCNA or CCNP.
• Advanced knowledge of and troubleshooting experience with Firepower firewall/VPNs, Cisco switches, LAN/WAN configurations, and Avaya PBX phone systems.
• Advanced expertise with network security, understanding of vulnerabilities and countermeasures.
• Active Directory experience including group policies and security settings used in Windows system hardening is preferred.
• Knowledge of and troubleshooting experience with Microsoft and VMware servers.
• Experience with Microsoft Exchange, Internet Information Services, MS SQL Server, non-network device data backups, and VoIP is preferred.
• Effectively communicate issues and resolutions to all levels of the organization.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive customer and internal information.
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with team members.
• Good phone skills, professional demeanor, and previous customer service experience strongly desired.
• Good problem-solving skills; ability to visualize a problem or situation and thing abstractly to solve it.
• Ability to handle constantly changing flow of tasks, be able to multitask effectively during busy times, exercise patience and professionalism during stressful situations.
• Ability to work responsibly with or without direct supervision.
• Working knowledge of common operating systems and software applications.
• Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain and maintain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance and suitability for DHS.
• Participation in the Immunization Program, Medical Surveillance Program and/or enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) may be required, dependent upon position and/or business needs.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work schedule and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
• Manages network infrastructure in a secure environment, ensuring that each device has maximum reliability.
• Provides project support and guidance to meet NBACC/DHS guidelines and timeframes for completion.
• Performs Network Assessments, LAN and WAN design, Implementation, Administration, Installation, Configuration, Optimization, and Maintenance.
• Manages Cisco Firepower Firewall, VPN, Switches and VLANs.
• Performs Cisco IOS and other network device patching and upgrades.
• Administering and management of networks and telecommunication systems including all voice and data communications to facilitate the transfer of data and communications throughout NBACC.
• Assists System Administrators with management of Microsoft and VMware servers
• Responds to tickets escalated from the first level Service Desk staff or assigned directly to the SA queue.
• Follows and maintains existing documentation and creates documentation for new procedures.
• Must be a subject matter expert in Cisco networking devices and advanced expertise in Avaya PBX phone systems.
• Maintains a broad knowledge of network devices and applications.
• Monitors system logs and activity on servers and network devices.
• Coordinates with other staff engaged in similar tasks.
• Attends and actively participates in weekly meetings.
• Follows the change management process when making changes to the systems.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Battelle National Biodefense Inst
TechnologyView all jobs at Battelle National Biodefense Inst