Systems Engineering Routines and Services Technician
- Expired: January 03, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Surface Maintenance Engineering, Planning, Program (SURFMEPP) maintains, monitors, and refines Class-wide and Individual-Ship Maintenance Plans for all non-nuclear surface ships to ensure material readiness for the projected service life, develop life-cycle strategies to address system upgrades, and fully implement the Class Maintenance Plan into each surface ship's maintenance schedule and availability planning process. SURFMEPP is headquartered at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, VA.
The Systems Engineer applies a practical knowledge of the methods and techniques of engineering or architecture, and the construction, application, properties, operations, and limitations of engineering systems, processes, structures, machinery, devices, and materials. Works independently to plan, develop, analyze, and document surface ship maintenance and availability related projects within the scope of the System Engineering Division. Developing maintenance standards and procedures, testing, and evaluating new or modified systems, or analyzing the compatibility of interlocking components and systems and developing and designing test and repair equipment, analyzing repair practices and developing procedural instructions on methods and steps of equipment, system or platform evaluation and repairs.
Specific duties include:
• Participates as a subject matter expert member of multi-sector (federal military and civilian, contractor, association, etc.), multi-functional (engineers, technicians, analysts, etc.) working groups, analysis teams and special projects; providing clarification and direction based on program and engineering technician subject matter expertise, applying predetermined procedures, methods and standardized practices and approaches to collect and record engineering data for life cycle planning for surface ship equipment, systems or platforms. Staying abreast of existing and new/emerging practices, methods and applications through on-the-job and classroom training and applying these new methods to SURFMEPP programs that provide key surface ship maintenance planning and scheduling products.
• Provides training to program stakeholders on SURFMEPP programs and processes within Services and Routines responsibility. Leads small teams and working groups in assessment of program root cause analysis, analyzing system maintenance costs and conducting equipment failure analysis and making recommendations on revised engineering, program and process approaches which contribute to the development of material specifications. Participating in activities to support NAVSEA O5 Technical Warrant Holder (TWH) for various engineering/technical issues associated with surface ship life cycle management.
• Collects and analyzes material condition, repair and other maintenance related data to devise solutions and actions to resolve issues, conditions and problems and develop and maintain the Class Maintenance Plan (CMP).
• Interprets policy and regulatory requirements in terms of established objectives and
developing changes to plans and/or methodology to meet program goals. Develops new,
and modifies existing, repair standards to meet changing requirements and makes
recommendations for improvement in order to meet program objectives.
• Presents oral briefings and developing written reports, project and status papers,
correspondence and communications which summarize and explain results of
investigation, document findings and/or foster understanding and acceptance. Program
stakeholders being briefed may be resistant to new processes requiring skill and
diplomacy in defending position taken, conclusions reached and to gain compliance with
findings and recommendations for change or improvement in repair, analysis, or
maintenance and modernization planning methodologies.
• Participates, directs, or executes special projects in support of emergent requirements and
• High school degree, or a GED, and more than 15 (fifteen) years of relevant experience,
OR a bachelor's degree in a relevant field.
• Practical knowledge of, and experience and skill in, applying a wide range of concepts,
practices, regulations, policies, precedents, and innovation approaches for ship
maintenance, modernization, and repair programs and requirements for ships equipment,
systems, and platform.
• Knowledge of analytical, diagnostic, qualitative and quantitative techniques to identify
shortcomings and provide management advisory and technical services for ship platform
or system repair, maintenance, and modernization planning.
• Ability to devise new, innovative, or modified work methods, approaches, or procedures
to identify, evaluate, recommend, and implement appropriate solutions to resolve
complex interrelated maintenance planning problems and issues.
• Ability to work as a member of a multi-sector, multi-functional team to provide technical
direction in the application of emerging practices and methods for defining repair,
maintenance and modernization planning and develop key maintenance planning and
scheduling products for surface platforms.
• Ability to formulate and present findings, briefings, project papers and reports to explain,
foster understanding and acceptance and defend findings and recommendations.
• Familiarity with Navy Maintenance and logistics Database (OARS-3M, M&SWP, CDMD-OA, PMSMIS, NMD, etc.)
• Understanding of US Navy HM&E and/or Combat Systems operations and maintenance practices and terminology
• Familiarity with failure analysis methodology
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and other database management tools and software, particularly MS Excel 2010
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to work independently, attention to detail, and superb customer interaction
• Must have or be able to obtain a security clearance.
• Regular physical activity to include walking, climbing stairs, and standing; frequent period of prolonged sitting may be required.
• Ability to speak, read, hear, and write, with or without assistance.
• The position requires a COVID vaccination or an approved accommodation/exemption for a disability/medical condition or religious belief.
• Travel: Less than 5% expected
Basic Engineering Concepts & Technologies Inc DBA BecTech Inc
Get fresh Engineering Technician II jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.