Kitchen Steward - Dishwasher/ Food Prep.
Reports to: Food & Beverage Manager
Department: Food & Beverage
Scope and General Purpose:
The Kitchen Steward is required to maintain the kitchen and surrounding areas in a clean and sanitary manner by following the cleaning schedules and adhering to the Health & Hygiene Regulations and Company policy and procedures.
Reporting to the Executive Chef, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Consistently offers professional, engaging and friendly service Report for duty punctually, in the correct uniform, clean and neatly pressed with your name‐tag clearly visible.
- Liaise with the Stewarding Supervisor or Kitchen Supervisor on duty for specific instructions/requests.
- Carry out duties as assigned, also refer to cleaning schedules and perform the necessary duties.
- Collect the appropriate cleaning materials and equipment from Stewarding Supervisor.
- Check equipment daily to ensure they are in good working condition and promptly report any defects/malfunctions to the Stewarding Supervisor or a senior person.
- Assist in the set up and break down of service areas for all special functions(buffet, barbecue, etc).
- Cleans stoves, ovens, grills, refrigerators, and using cleaning solutions, brushes and washcloths.
- Washes utensils, such as pots, pans, and trays by hand using cleaning detergents. Washes dishware, glasses, and cutlery by hand or machine. Occasionally polishes utensils. Drains dries and stacks items after washing.
- Transports food supplies, such as meats, vegetables, fruits, and canned foods from storeroom or freezer, using trolley/basket to kitchen. Returns surplus food to storeroom or freezer.
- May assist with food preparation, such as blending soups, washing and peeling vegetables and shellfish.
- Assist in the set up and break down of service areas for all special functions(buffet, barbecue, etc.)
- May help set up barbecue equipment such as charcoal pits and food warmers. May assist with floral decorations.
- Understand and practice the principles of environmental stewardship throughout the hotels.
- Recycle all vegetable and fruit peelings, and eggshell make composting.
- Any other reasonable requests made by Management.
- Assist Food & Beverage management team with stock‐take as requested.
- Assist in transporting of food, beverage and other items to and from the kitchen.
- Assist kitchen team in replenishing food items, crockery, cutlery, etc, on special functions/busy periods.
- Attend Department meetings as requested.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability Requirements
- Highly responsible & reliable
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times
Essential duties require long periods of standing and walking as well as frequent reaching and kneeling, pushing, pulling, carrying, lifting and moving objects 50 lbs or more without assistance.
The employee must have normal vision (corrected), hearing and verbal communication.
Duties are typically performed in an indoor setting; however duties may be assigned periodically which take place out of doors and in the elements.
This Job Description reflects management’s assessment of essential functions; however it does not prescribe nor restrict the tasks that may be assigned