Coordinator - Veteran Services
- Posted: over a month ago
The Coordinator of Veterans Services reports to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, provides oversight and leadership for the day-to-day operations of the Office of Veterans Services, and is responsible for the development and leadership of a vibrant Veterans Resource Center.
The Office of Veterans Services is the first point of contact for students seeking to use Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits and serves as a resource center for veterans and military-connected students. The coordinator serves as principal advocate and provides leadership in a collaborative process with staff in Student Affairs, Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, and Admissions to facilitate students' college transition, enrollment, and academic achievement. The coordinator also serves as the College's liaison with outside agencies and offices at the state and federal levels, whose work impacts the lives of veterans and all military-connected students.
- Supervises the full-time Special Populations Admissions Advisor and student employees assigned to the office.
- Develops, maintains, and coordinates a premier network of support services, both on and off campus, for veteran and military affiliated students at BCCC.
- Serves as the Primary Certifying School Official, representing BCCC in all state and federal audits and reporting requirements related to veterans' educational benefits.
- Certifies eligible veteran and military affiliated students in the US Department of Veterans Affairs database VAONCE
- Utilizes Tungsten VA to download invoices (POs), and works closely with the Office of Student Accounts to ensure timely application of benefits to veteran student's accounts
- Utilizes other specialized software such as ArmyIgnited to process educational benefits
- Stays current on changes and updates to US Department of Veterans Affairs regulation pertaining to Veterans Educational Benefits and provides monthly regulatory updates to BCCC on those regulations.
- Reports changes in enrollment in accordance with the US Department of Veterans Affairs regulations.
- Increases veteran student applications, enrollment, retention, and graduation in accordance with BCCC goals.
- Assists veterans with certification and pay issues, disseminates information about military and veteran's education entitlement programs and ensures institutional compliance with State and federal laws, regulations, policies, and procedures governing the administration of veterans' benefits.
- Recruits veteran and military affiliated students.
- Plans and conducts workshops for veteran and military affiliated students. Serves as the liaison between veterans, the US Department of VA, and college departments.
- Maintains membership and active participation in professional associations (i.e., National Assoc. of Veterans Program Administrator -NAVPA, Associate of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers AACRAO, Service-members Opportunity Colleges -SOC, etc.).
- Other related duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Three to five years of progressive experience related to advising and working with military connected students.
- Working knowledge of military regulatory compliance in higher education.
- Expert knowledge of veteran educational benefits such as GI Bill requirements and US Department of VA Education Benefits.
- Knowledge of student retention principles and best practices for veteran and military affiliated students in higher education and in the community college setting.
- Ability to work with a diverse population with a wide variety of needs, especially with Veterans and Active Duty.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students and student accounts, financial aid, and academic departments.
- Demonstrated collaborative and conflict resolution skills.
- Commitment to veteran student development and success.
- A master's degree in college student personnel, higher education administration, counseling, or related field from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- A veteran or prior experience working closely with veterans.
- A working knowledge of BANNER or similar ERP.
- Five or more years of progressive experience related to advising and working with military connected students.
Baltimore City Community College
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?