Vice President, Legal Compliance
Balfour & Co. is one of the world's largest Collegiate and High School commencement services companies, leading the industry in digital product innovation by helping students and their families celebrate the most meaningful moments in their lives. Operating under Balfour®, GradImages®, University Photo®, Gaspard®, ArtCarved®, KeepSake® and Taylor Publishing Company®, the Company provides personalized products such as class jewelry and apparel, yearbooks and commercial printing, graduation cap and gowns, announcement products and photography through digital marketing technology, personal in-school deliveries, and customized school assortments. To learn more visit Balfour.com, the destination for Graduation products, and GradImages.com, the industry’s largest commencement photography platform. The Company operates throughout North America with around 5,000 team members. From our start in 1913 to today, the Company has grown and evolved in many ways but the quality of our products and our commitment to our people have been at the highest standards throughout this long history.
The VP, Legal Compliance is responsible for providing and coordinating various legal services including, but not limited to construction and review of contracts, product liability claims, insurance claims, employment legal matters and litigation. Assists with legal compliance for corporate policies, contracts, leases, purchase orders, service agreements, merchandising agreements, cease and desist letters and other business-related matters. Oversees company’s policy and direction to ensure compliance with State and Federal regulations (Patriot Act, Anti-Fraud and Money Laundering Act, National Immigration Act) and serves as counsel to senior management in employment and labor legal issues as well as tax and financial reporting issues. Responsible Officer for compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Essential Position Functions:
- Develops, reviews, and maintains company policy that ensures compliance with applicable State and Federal laws.
- Provides periodic training as necessary for compliance.
- Handles legal issues and/or provides counsel to senior management (eg., to Marketing and Sales regarding retail sales and merchandising agreements; to CFO regarding purchase agreements, contracts, real estate leases, and banking arrangements; to VP/Human Resources regarding employment and labor issues, etc.).
- Oversees insurance and liability claims and litigation; conducts investigations and attempts to resolve at local level issues that may become risks to the company.
- Reviews and administers business litigation matters to determine whether to litigate or settle; review and edit pleadings and motions; arrange for appropriate outside counsel, including budgeting, and serving as liaison between company and outside counsel.
- Reviews and assists with due diligence in SEC required filings; contributes required legal disclosures in all such filings.
- Maintains various Company minute books; prepares minutes for all subsidiaries to assure actions of the various boards are properly documented and kept current.
- Reviews all loan, financing, security, merger, and acquisition documents.
- Stays abreast of legislative issues pertinent to the business and provides training and guidance to keep company policies and practices current.
- Provides statistical reporting of legal trends and costs and provides guidance to minimize risks and costs incurred with legal actions.
- Reviews and provides corporate guidance on any contractual matters or other projects as necessary.
- Drafts senior management employment contracts and other business contracts as necessary.
- Manages the Company intellectual property matters including Copyrights, Trademarks, and Patents as well as negotiating settlements with companies who infringe our intellectual property rights. Maintains intellectual property files and follow-up system.
- Maintains the Company legal files for contracts, employment agreements and other legal matters.
- Represents the Company at all depositions and court appearances for suits, mediation, arbitrations, and settlement conferences.
Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctorate degree with continuing legal education in a corporate legal compliance environment.
- Minimum of six years’ experience in contract and business law practice.
- Experience in corporate legal environment managing multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to comprehend complex legal issues and manage multiple legal priorities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft word and/or related software.
We will be delighted to connect at your earliest convenience to share more about Balfour, our team, and how you can be a part of this exciting organization.
Location: Aventura, Florida (In-office role, remote work not considered)
Balfour & CompanyMiami, FL
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.