Director, MEP Operations - Washington, D.C
- Over a month ago
Director, MEP Operations - Washington, D.C.
Bala Consulting Engineers is a 200-person engineering firm headquartered in Philadelphia, PA with full-service offices in New York, NY, Boston, MA, Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC.
Bala is a dynamic growth-oriented company, built on relationships with our clients, staff, and industry partners. At Bala you will enjoy an exceptional employee experience that results in a successful career based on collaboration, leadership, and personal development.
The Director, MEP Operations will be responsible for expanding all the engineering practice groups in the Washington, D.C. region while collaborating with the office senior staff members and other leaders across the enterprise. This position is responsible for furthering Bala’s exposure/reputation in the market, helping to expand the size and capabilities of the group, and will also share in the responsibility for top and bottom-line results. The Dir., MEP Ops. will provide leadership in a manner which will continue to ensure a cohesive and collaborative environment, while promoting Bala’s culture in the DC Office, located in Arlington, VA.
Reporting to the Enterprise COO, the Dir., MEP Ops. will be responsible for developing and managing client relationships, ensuring that Bala is providing best-in-class service, and driving established project management practices in a way that ensures project profitability. The Dir., MEP Ops will work with the Director of Business Development to focus on direct sales efforts, including developing and maintaining client relationships, and delivering new projects and opportunities. This position will also collaborate with the operations and business development leads of the other offices, sharing knowledge and resources, and cultivating and closing new business. The ideal candidate will be a highly credible, well-regarded engineer in the area with a strong professional network and a following of clients and colleagues engaged in long term relationships with the Dir., MEP Ops.
The Dir. MEP Ops will broadly add value to the company and will help to enhance Bala’s reputation as a world-class organization, competing with other top firms nationally. In this role, this individual is expected to enhance Bala’s visibility and reputation in the region as well as providing technical expertise and experience. This will include the following responsibilities:
• Develop short and long-term strategic plans as well as annual operating budgets and share ownership of performance against those plans.
• Contribute to meeting or exceeding specific revenue and profit goals and company objectives.
• Define/refine operational KPIs that drive bottom line growth; drive accountability of performance against metrics.
• Develop/retain relationships with clients by gaining an understanding of clients’ business models to provide them with tailored solutions.
• Provide strategic input to the leadership team. Collaborate with Managing Partners, sharing knowledge, tools, and resources to cross-sell services and products.
• Work closely with Director of Business Development, supporting direct sales efforts including proposal generation, closing new projects, contract negotiations, and developing and maintaining client relationships.
• Establish goals and objectives and prepare long term forecasts in collaboration with Marketing and Business Development.
• Build and support a highly engaged and collaborative work environment. Assist in building out the design team by recruiting and retaining qualified technical production and project management staff.
• Identify high performing staff members and provide career path and advancement plans.
• Maintain clear communications with staff concerning operational practices, goals and objectives, performance, and enterprise awareness.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is required, as is a Professional Engineering License (“PE”).
• 15+ years of experience in the industry is required with a proven track record in both project management and design.
• Experience in one or more of the following would be ideal: Commercial Development, Multifamily, Life Sciences, Public or Private Education, and Corporate facilities.
• Highly technical engineering skills with a deep understanding of the field combined with sound business and financial acumen.
• Proven ability to build strong client relationships, quickly establish rapport, and gain an understanding of the client's unique challenges. Ability to influence and collaborate with stakeholders at all levels.
• Broad experience in developing and managing high performance teams – a history of positive employee relations combined with an ability to interact in a positive manner with the entire workforce and all levels of management.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to evaluate talent, identify needs, and hire technically proficient staff. Ability to create an enriched work environment, motivating staff to reach their highest potential.
• Superior written and verbal communication, listening, and project management skills with ability to adapt, multi-task, and manage multiple priorities.
As a multi-discipline engineering firm, Bala is a leader in innovative designs for building systems in High Rise, Mission Critical, Multi-Unit Housing, Commercial Office, Higher Education, Transportation, Adaptive Reuse and Life Science facilities.
Bala’s compensation package includes a benefits package along with market competitive salary structure. Our culture creates an environment where relationships thrive and careers flourish.
Follow us @balaconsultingengineers on Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?