Drive a tractor-trailer combination or a straight truck to transport and deliver goods or materials in liquid, loose, or packaged form. Depending on customer needs, may be required to manually unload truck. May require use of manual or electric walk-behind pallet jack. Requires class ‘A’ & ‘B’ commercial driver’s licenses with Haz-Mat and tanker endorsement.
Key benefits for Full-Time, CDL Driver include 401(k) retirement plan with generous company match, excellent health, dental & vision care plan options, flexible spending account and health savings account options, life & disability insurance, up to four weeks paid vacation, 8 paid company holidays as well as a tenure and safe driving bonus. The position utilizes modern fleet and allows drivers to be home most nights.
As a privately held company, BWI has over 60 years of successful sales growth and profitability. As an integral part of the BWI transportation team, you will be growing with the industry leader in wholesale distribution of lawn & garden products. If being an important part of a successful business is something that gets you excited, this career opportunity may be exactly what you're looking for!
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Follow appropriate safety procedures when transporting dangerous goods, including placarding, when applicable.
- Perform pre-trip, in-route and post-trip inspections. Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Maintain logs of working hours and of vehicle service and repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations.
- Obtain receipts or signatures when loads are delivered, and collect payment for services when required.
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate.
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, as directed; check that vehicle position is correct and any special loading equipment is properly positioned.
- Drive tractor-trailer combinations and straight trucks in order to transport and deliver products or other materials.
- Secure cargo for transport, using ropes, blocks, load locks, chain, binders, and/or covers.
- Read invoices to determine assignment details.
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to vehicles or other property.
- Read and interpret maps in order to determine vehicle routes.
- Couple and uncouple trailers by changing trailer jack positions, connecting or disconnecting air and electrical lines, and manipulating fifth-wheel locks.
- Collect delivery instructions from appropriate sources, verifying instructions and routes.
- Operate equipment such as truck cab computers, CB radios, and telephones to exchange necessary information with bases, supervisors, or other drivers.
- Load and unload trucks, or help others with loading and unloading, operating any special loading-related equipment on vehicles and using other equipment as necessary.
- Collaborate with other BWI Employees in regards to Employee training and information exchange to ensure customer satisfaction and teamwork.
- Call in to the division office twice daily, preferably at or about 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and at the conclusion of route.
- Turn in travel expenses with receipts at the conclusion of each trip.
- Complete Driver trip report as well as trip returns report.
- Maintain tractor/truck interior cab cleanliness.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Enthusiastic - Ability to bring energy to the performance of a task.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Tactful - Ability to show consideration for and maintain good relations with others.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
SKILLS & ABILITIES Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) Experience: One to two years related experience Certificates & Licenses: Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) ‘A’ & ‘B’, with Haz-Mat and Tanker Endorsement Other Requirements: Minimum age of at least 21 years’ old Clean MVR with 3 or less moving violations over three-year period Pass DOT physical & N.I.D.A. drug screen No DWI / DUI convictions within the past (5) years