Designer / Creative
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
BRINK is a small, independent creative agency that works with activist brands. We are seeking a sharp creative talent with broad media production skills and a specialization in layout and experience design. You will work collaboratively with other creatives, strategists and project managers to bring our brand and campaign work to life.
This is an open talent search. We welcome all candidates to apply, whether you are seeking a full-time or part-time situation and are 2 years or 20 years into your career.
The creative work we do:
- Brand identity and design systems
- Creative campaigns across both digital and IRL channels
- Social media content and user engagement
- Websites and other digital interactions
- Sometimes things get weird
The clients we do it for:
We believe we have the ability to educate, build empathy, and shape cultural norms through insightful creativity. We use this talent to elevate human-centered organizations.
Our clients tend to include social good startups, large nonprofits, civic institutions, progressive advocacy groups and conscious capitalists. They hire us to help them lead a values-driven message in their brand story and marketing communications.
A typical day includes:
- Ideation and layout for print and digital advertisements and content pieces.
- Producing clever / creative social content and campaigns.
- Developing logos and brand design systems.
- Designing supporting graphic assets like icons, infographics, etc.
- Designing creative user interfaces for websites and interactions.
- Contributing to the creative ideation process for big ideas.
- Polishing pitch decks and other strategic deliverables.
- Researching sources of inspiration.
- Assembling mood boards and pre-visualizations.
- Supporting post-production of videos with titles.
- Overseeing freelance or junior support when needed.
- Emails, meetings…you know the drill.
- Playing intense games of Quiplash.
- Shitposting in slack channels.
- “Did you see the latest…”
Depending on the skills of the applicant, we might also utilize you for:
- Animation and motion graphics
- Art direction and set design
- Webflow and CSS
- What else you got?
Our workplace is:
- Creative and inspiring, with smart people talking art, culture and the human condition.
- Critical and demanding, with a high standard and expectation to push one another to do our best possible work every time.
- Humanist, treating everyone with compassion as the unique, complicated person they are and not a cog in the capitalist machine.
- A bit unstructured, because every business challenge and idea is unique and there’s no concrete blueprint or cookie-cutter approach.
- Flexible and trusting, with everyone managing their own time and bringing their own work styles so long as they are able to mesh with the rest of the team.
- A meritocracy, with top talent progressing quickly regardless of age or past experience and best ideas winning no matter where they originate.
- Collaborative, with frequent communication over the course of the day and an expectation to build the work together and not in silos.
- Positive and supportive, having each other’s backs and believing our sum can be greater than our parts.
- Openly progressive, encouraging political and social conversations while striving for empathy, even with those we disagree with.
- A hybrid of in-person and virtual collaboration, with creative spaces to play in.
A good fit for our team:
- Has a passion for creativity and storytelling and is a heavy consumer of art.
- Is able to effectively switch between multiple styles of work over the course of a day without feeling overwhelmed.
- Enjoys having their work critiqued and being pushed to do better.
- Understands that great work requires failing fast and just trying stuff.
- Is intrinsically motivated without needing a granular tasklist to get from point A to point B.
- Performs well in a small team setting where everyone relies on one another.
- Communicates directly and speaks up when they disagree or feel frustrated.
- Takes pride in their craft and is always growing and evolving.
- Is curious and observant and learns from watching others.
- Is able to produce the types of content that resonate in modern media channels.
- Knows their way around the software and gear they use.
- Has cultivated productive work habits that fit their personal style.
- Thinks strategically and considers how their work fits into a big picture.
We believe the concept of work-life balance is a bit of a misnomer. Work is such a significant part of one’s life that creating a wall should never be the goal. While your work has economic value for which you get compensated, it should also have an intrinsic value that gives you a sense of purpose. We want the people you work with, the spaces you work within, and the clients you serve to be fulfilling to you.
You should be able to move between work and other aspects of your life with ease—to think about client projects in the shower and take personal calls in the conference room, to book the dentist in the middle of the day and crack open Illustrator at midnight, to work on personal projects and side gigs that inspire you and help you grow as an artist. And you should be able to set communications and device boundaries that work for you while working with your teammates to find a collaborative balance that works for them too.
This is an ongoing dialogue we have as a team in the choices of projects we take on and the direction we move as an organization. Like all workplaces, we are imperfect, but we are open-minded and open to better ways of doing things while nimble enough to constantly grow.
We understand that work culture is evolving and people are often seeking less traditional work situations. We are open to all conversations to find the best talent possible.
We welcome these three types of applicants:
- Seeking a full-time, salaried position
- Seeking a steady, part-time role (15-30 hours per week)
- Seeking consideration as a key freelancer
This is a pure contributor role with no management responsibilities. We will negotiate a job title that fits where you’re at in your career.
We are open to remote only applicants, but prefer members of our team to be a hybrid of remote and in-person out of either our Tucson or DC studios if possible.
You must have a professional portfolio to be considered.
- Full-time salary range is $40k to $65k.
- Part-time pay range is $20 to $50 per hour.
- Freelancers should specify a rate.
Benefits for full and part-timers include:
- Profit sharing (50% paid out as employee bonuses, proportionate to pay)
- Flexible work schedules
- Technology upgrade program ($400 per year match)
- Fully stocked kitchen and open access to creative studio space and equipment
- Periodic team lunches, happy hours and events
Salaried (full-time) employees additionally get:
- Health, vision and dental (w/ company subsidy)
- 401(k) retirement plans with company match (up to 6%)
- Paid federal holidays
- Generous vacation policy
Freelancers do not get benefits but are welcome to co-work in our studios when actively working on a BRINK project.
Any resume + portfolio pairing that gets us excited will earn an initial, short interview. Shortlisted applicants get a much more intensive interview that may involve a little bit of homework ahead of time.
Because this is an open call, there is no defined timeline. We are actively seeking the addition of at least one new person to our team.
Equitable opportunity employer:
BRINK does not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
We encourage applicants from historically marginalized or underrepresented communities, and we are committed to fostering and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce where all voices in the room are heard and respected.
BRINKWhy Work Here?
Purpose-Driven Clients, Award-winning Work, Team Unity, Strong Company Culture, Profit Sharing
BRINK’s creative group of planners, producers & provocateurs make art and tech-driven content experiences for activist brands.
1100 S. 6th Ave TucsonTucson, AZ
Arts and EntertainmentView all jobs at BRINK