Job profile summary:
BP Petrochemicals is a material part of BP's Downstream with over 1800 employees in the US, Europe and Asia. Our 15 manufacturing sites are located in the UK, US, Belgium, China, Indonesia, South Korea, Malaysia and Taiwan. These have a combined production capacity of 15.1 million tonnes per year. The three primary products are para-xylene (PX), purified terephthalic acid (PTA) and acetic acid (AA), which together form the Aromatics and Acetyls businesses. We also produce methanol, acetic anhydride and meta-xylene.
BP Petrochemicals prides itself on our world leading Technology! The Petrochemicals Technology (PCT) organization delivers value through the development, deployment and optimization of process technologies. PCT is at the forefront of our technology driven business enabling both resiliency and growth of Petrochemicals, building new opportunities in terms of Sustainability, as well as Advancing Low Carbon and transitioning to a Circular Plastics economy.
The Senior Process Design & Economics Technologist(Aromatics) is part of the Petrochemicals New Technology team supporting the business through three primary activities: driving the identification and evaluation of new and emerging technology options beyond the current portfolio, delivering technical and economic analysis and benchmarking of BP assets and competitors globally and across regions. The role will work closely with the wider BP Technology and Downstream Technology teams for Petrochemicals.
This is a particularly exciting time to join Petrochemicals as the business looks to grow, with Technology being key to our success! Change in the energy complex continues at unprecedented pace, with the dual challenge and associated energy transition crafting significant opportunities. You will play a key role in our agenda.
Accountabilities include :
- Identifying and leading the techno-economic evaluations (e.g. in renewables, bio chemicals, new feedstock's, new products) and recommending participation options where applicable
- Flowsheet development, process modelling, capital cost and operating cost assessment and competitive technology benchmarking
- Developing new options to improve the high-reaching advantage of our existing technology platforms, including the new feedstock options
- Hold core process technology specialist, conceptual process design and economic evaluation capabilities for the Petrochemicals business.
- Developing a deep understanding of technology and economics in BP's core product lines in PTA and Aromatics.
- Serve as the technical custodian of the industry cost curve models for PTA and Aromatics and deliver cost curves in support of Business Improvement Plans and associated Strategy activities
- Supporting our New Technology Manager, acting as the conduit to the wider BP Technology and Downstream Technology teams for Petrochemicals
- Develop and maintain a network of professional contacts across the manufacturing, commercial, strategy and technology teams in Petrochemicals to support New Technology activities
- Building out networks into Group Technology to understand BP group's strategy and intent as a feeder into of ideas and opportunities into the New Technology team's activities and priorities
- Support the refresh of our Technology portfolio
Essential Education : A Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or the equivalent is required for the role
Essential experience and job requirements :
- Minimum 5 years' experience in industrial process research and development
- Proficient in chemical engineering process design and modelling
- Proficient in techno-economic modelling, evaluation and competitive technology benchmarking
- Knowledge of new technology process development and scale-up (how to take technology concepts from concept through development to commercialisation)
- Demonstrated ability for innovative and creative thinking
- Proven strong analytical and data analysis skills
- Proficient in process modelling (e.g. Aspen Plus, Hysys, Pro II) including the creation and development of conceptual process models from scratch
- Strong communication and partner management skills, with proven relationship building across geographically dispersed teams and functions
Desirable criteria and qualifications :
- Understanding of (PTA) and/or (PX) process technologies
- Experience in estimating CAPEX for new or retrofitted technologies
- Experience in conceptual flow sheet development for new processes and/or products
- Experience with long-term business planning/strategy and technology project management
- Wider Petrochemicals and/or Technology experience
- Experience with BP's Technology Common Value Process (TCVP)
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers' needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. ( Spanish version )
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement .