Job profile summary:
As a principal drilling engineer on the Wells Technical Authority team for BPX you will be filling several roles. Besides being a mentor to all drilling engineers in the BPX organization and assisting all engineers with detailed well planning and casing design, you will also be responsible for creating policy documents, casing design standards and updating field operating manuals. You will play a key role during the planning and execution of BPX critical wells and you will share responsibility for the safe and efficient execution of these well programs. You will work with key stakeholders throughout the entire BPX organization as well as in multi-disciplinary teams that own the development programs and are responsible for the safe and efficient delivery of the BPX business objectives.
- Co-author BPX policy documents
- Ensure alignment of BPX policies with BP group standards
- Mentor and coach well engineers and engineering interns
- Plan and design high profile well programs in compliance with all internal and external rules and regulations
- BPX brand ambassador whenever you interact with external stakeholders
- Utilize the latest technology and data analytics to track execution performance
- Work closely with the contractor community to trial new tools & technologies that will lead to measurable performance improvement
- Expected to travel to the field on an intermittent basis
Essential Experience and Job Requirements
- Minimum of 10-15 years of domestic and/or international experience as a drilling engineer
- Experience in resource development across multiple US onshore basins
- Holder of a valid IWCF well control certificate
- B.Sc. degree in petroleum engineering or mechanical engineering. Advanced degreed preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Ability to function in a diverse work force
- Innovative mindset with desire to achieve industry leading results
- Foster an environment of safety first operations
- Demonstrate ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in fast paced environment
- Possess the grit necessary to tackle any challenge and a growth mindset to be on constant lookout for new solutions
- Demonstrated use of IMPACT principles:
I - Innovated: Learns from new ideas and applies solutions to add value.
M - Motivated: Overcomes obstacles with an intense desire to succeed.
P - Performance Driven: Makes value-based decisions involving measured risk to deliver business objectives.
A - Accountable: Takes responsibility and ownership of business performance.
C - Collaborative: Shares knowledge and works together for the good of L48.
T - Trustworthy: Keeps commitments, listens to others and authentically supports change necessary to achieve our Path to Premier.
BP's BPX Energy business (formerly known as the Lower 48) operates across a vast US geography, from Texas north through the Rocky Mountains. The business manages a diverse portfolio which includes an extensive unconventional resource base of about 7.5 billion barrels of oil equivalent across 5.5 million gross acres in some of the largest and most well-known basins in the US. Headquartered in Denver (Colorado), BPX Energy employs about 1,700 people across six states, operates more than 9,600 producing wells and has 70,000 royalty owners. Our vision is to be the premier, high return, onshore exploration and production company that consistently increases asset value. Our Wyoming operations are anchored on the giant Wamsutter tight gas field in the south central part of the state. In the San Juan area of Colorado and New Mexico we produce from tight gas sands and operate the largest coal-bed methane field in the US. Our Mid-Continent operations cover the prolific Anadarko, and is home to the famed East Texas basin, along with the Woodford shale gas play and Arkoma basin. We also have non-operating interests in over 10,000 wells across the US with substantial positions in both the Eagle Ford and Fayetteville shale basins. In 2018, BP completed a $10.5 billion acquisition of BHP's world-class unconventional oil and gas assets in the Permian-Delaware basin in Texas, along with two premium positions in the Eagle Ford and Haynesville basins in Texas and Louisiana. These assets currently produce 190,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day, of which about 45 percent are liquid hydrocarbons. The deal represents BP's largest purchase since buying ARCO in 1999. It is a transformational acquisition for our BPX Energy business which gives the BPX Energy team access to some of the best acreage in some of the best basins in the onshore U.S.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. ( Spanish version )
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement .