DIRECTOR SOFTWARE ARCHITECTURE
Now in its 27th year, BioCentury Inc. is internationally recognized as the leading provider of value-added information, analysis and data for biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, investors, academia and government. BioCentury thoughtfully identifies and analyzes the strategic issues essential to the formation, development and sustainability of life science ventures. The company employs a fully integrated multimedia platform — including electronic publications, online data solutions, interactive websites, webcasts and conferences — to provide its audience with authoritative and up-to-date intelligence about corporate strategy, partnering, emerging technology, clinical data, public policy and financial markets.
The company currently has a full time opening for Director Software Architecture.
The Director Software Architecture sets technology direction, ensures project implementation compliance, and utilizes technology research to innovate, integrate, and manage technology solutions. This job leads the development of front end software including website, mobile PWA and applications using machine learning algorithms for the BioCentury Platform.
• 15+ years of experience in software development across multiple platforms including digital publishing sites and applications across a range of devices
• In-depth knowledge of industry best practices and trends in digital platforms and related media
• Capable of collaborative iteration in a fast paced environment with short product life cycles
• Experience with responsive website design and development, including PWA.
• Familiarity with the whole web stack, including protocols, libraries and frameworks and web server optimization techniques.
• Proven track record demonstrating collaboration with UX researchers and designers.
• Solid understanding of UX, SEO/SEM and accessibility best practices
• Experience working with CMS platforms.
• Experience with Scrum and Agile methodologies
• Experience with Internet or mobile usability/accessibility research is a plus
• Experience in A/B testing set-up and strategies
• Experience with Machine Learning hosting platforms
Skills & Responsibilities
• Manage a team of software developers and external development vendors.
• Provide technical architecture, technical design leadership and direction
• Lead the ideation and design of options to meet business and technical requirements
• Provide hands-on designs, prototypes, and implementations incorporating architecture & software engineering best practices
• Analyze and implement current industry technology trends, best practices and patterns.
• Evaluate tools, technologies and POCs.
• Participate in an Agile & Scrum methodology process
• Advocate of User Centered Design principles and processes
• Develop digital web properties with an emphasis on providing an exceptional user experience including agility through responsive design
• Participate in the resource demand and planning processes and drive Code Quality initiatives
• Development representative to stakeholders outside of the team, and the go-to individual for day-to-day front-end technology questions
• Enhance current UI and software architecture to improve usability, performance, and scalability
• Drive software development activities to meet schedules and timelines
• Research problems discovered by QA or product support and develop solutions to the problems
• Conduct unit testing and integration testing for functionality
• Research new technology or development tools to remain informed of current technology
• Work with documentation and internal teams, including Product and Project Management, Design, Business Analysis, and Quality Assurance to deliver high-quality, complete software releases
• Work with Data Scientist, Data Architects to build front end applications that utilize Machine Learning algorithms.
Education Requirements: Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline.
The work environment is casual; however, professional behavior, rapt attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines are absolute requirements.
Finally, all BioCentury employees are obligated to meet the highest standards with respect to accuracy, conflict of interest, intellectual property rights, slander, confidentiality and respect for information sources and readers.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Compensation and Benefits commensurate with experience
• Company sponsored U.S. health and life insurance
• 401K Plan