# Job Description Summary
# Job Description
This is a field based role in Wilmington, DE
The BD Interventional Surgery Division offers a broad range of infection prevention and biosurgery products, including ChloraPrep skin prep, Arista Absorbable Hemostat, and Progel Air Leak Sealant\.
The Territory Manager \(TM\) will manage a territory base and expand the sales of BD products using a balanced selling approach that involves a focus on key differentiating products, programs and services within the infection prevention and biosurgery space\. The TM is responsible for attaining sales goals established by the Company within the designated territory budget, increasing sales of current accounts, and establishing new accounts\.
The Territory Manager will be responsible for supporting BD's Infection Prevention and Biosurgery products with physicians, clinicians, materials management and other key decision makers\. Other essential functions of the position include:
- Presents, educates, and provides in\-services on the process/procedure of properly using the Company's products to surgeons, OR staff, and other individuals\. These duties include, but not limited to: Providing on\-site technical support during procedures to ensure proper use of the products\. Training and educating physicians and hospital staff on the use of the products\. Ensuring surgeons and staff have the most current product information available\. Ensuring effective utilization of the products by all trained surgeons within territory\.
- Maintains thorough knowledge and capabilities of BD's products, channels, and methods of distribution\.
- Responsible for meeting territory sales and profitablility goals\.
- Responsible for developing new prospects and establishing new customers\.
- Informs customers of new and current products, backorders, general order status, current pricing structure, company policy changes, and forecasts for new needs\.
- Achieves prompt, mutually satisfactory solution to customers' complaints\.
- Keeps promises and appointments\. Exercises courtesy and ethical manners at all times\.
- Attends customers' meetings and tradeshows with post\-convention feedback\.
- Informs District Manager and Franchise of significant market changes, competitive activity, customers' credit status, and needed company policy changes\. Should be thoroughly knowledgeable of competitive distribution, discounts, local terms, strategy, including strengths and weaknesses\.
- Maintains equipment, advertising, and promotional matter in a presentable and orderly manner
- Completes all paperwork on time and thoroughly; Keeps accurate up\-to date account records; Utilizes sales funnel to set goals and target accounts; Devises and follows route plan guided by customers' buying habits, current volume of orders, location of prospects, and competitive circumstances\.
- Proper use of productive selling time; i\.e\., calls in late afternoon with a minimum of three O\.R\.s per day and four surgeon contacts per day\. Doctors not available at the hospital will be contacted in their office
- Acquires comprehensive knowledge of prices, discounts, availability of each product and competition according to quality and quantity
- Maintains adequate supply of promotional tools \(samples, brochures, videos\)
- Must have all basic product knowledge and acquire knowledge of all new products added to the line and apply this knowledge to adequately conduct in\-service education to all hospitals
- Stays within expense budget
- Knows and effectively uses selling presentations as well as standard answers to objections
- Continually increases knowledge of trends \(business, technological, sociological\), sales skills, promotion techniques, information on new product, and sales forecasting
- Maintains relationships with the District Manager, fellow Territory Managers, and customers
- Plans sales calls on a continuous basis and organizes time for effective coverage of the territory\. A daily written plan is to be used
- Develops thorough knowledge of company policies and the ability to interpret them to customers and prospects
- Maintains the company car in a clean, orderly, and serviceable condition
- Uses to the best advantage nurses lectures, journal club meetings, local seminars, resident lectures, hospital displays and evaluation committee product presentations
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline
- A minimum of 2 - 3 years of relevant sales experienced is required\.
- Operating room sales/medical device experience is preferred\.
- Documentation of successful sales performance is required\.
- The ability to work in an operating room environment is required\.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, communication, organizational and planning skills
- Must possess and maintain a valid drivers' license and a driving record satisfactory to the Company
- Must poses and maintain a criminal background satisfactory to BD
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with Internal Customers - Sales Training, Marketing, National Accounts, Customer Service, Contracts, Field Sales Team and External Customers - KOLs, Surgeons, Physicians, Nurses, and Sourcing\.
- Thorough understanding of the needs/analysis approach to sales\.
- Understands contract administration and group purchasing\.
- Must live within assigned region
- Must possess and maintain a valid state\-issued driver's license and meet BD's auto safety standards\.
- Procedure knowledge adequate to illustrate convincingly the benefits of BD's products\.
- Basic anatomy - Ability to discuss the various products in relation to the human body\.
- Familiarity with medical and surgical terminology\.
- Travel - Approximately 80% of work time will be spent traveling, including overnight\.
- Physical Demand - While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for extended periods of time\. Occasionally the employee may be required to lift or move at least 25 pounds\. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job\. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function\.
- Mental Demand - Moderate to high degree of concentration due to volume, complexity, and/or "pressure" of work\.
# Additional Locations
# Work Shift
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.