- Candidate will assist with generation of genotypic data to identify the molecular basis of native traits for their application in cotton and soybean improvement.
- The selected candidate will work with a small team to apply sequence-based genotyping approaches using state of the art instrumentation.
- The candidate will be responsible for performing various plate-based molecular biology protocol steps along a high throughput process that turns a plant DNA sample into a DNA sequencing library and then into DNA sequence data.
Major Tasks and responsibilities
- Work within a group of laboratory scientist that perform: DNA sample quantitation, 96 well plate-based enzymatic steps for DNA sequencing library production, and other sample and reagent preparation steps using various liquid handling instruments
- Record and summarize sample preparation steps in a laboratory notebook
- Work well with others, contribute to team synergy
- Ensure compliance to Safety and Stewardship programs
The Main Objective of this Function
- Sample processing for production of sequence-based genotyping data for all cotton and soybean molecular breeding projects
- Reports to the Crop Genetics Team Leader
- Works with members of the Crop Genetics Team, Crop Analytics Lab
- B.S. degree in biological science or relevant field;
- 1-3 years of relevant biotechnology experience in academic or industrial laboratory environment;
- Experience with sample extraction and DNA/RNA/protein prep;
- Experience with PCR and/or protein analytical techniques;
- Familiarity with the use of fundamental bioinformatics tools;
- Demonstrated record of consistency and accuracy working in a technical environment;
- Prior experience working in a team environment and ability to adapt to the atmosphere of a dynamic research organization;
- Excellent attention to detail, and organizational and record-keeping skills;
- Proficient Computer skills: MS Office, other scientific programs as needed