Company: BCFS Health and Human Services
Business Unit: HTI
Program: BCFS Health and Human Services - Common Thread
Status: Regular Full-Time
Education: Required - Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Required – Personal or professional experience with victims of human trafficking, victims of child abuse and neglect, or youth experiencing homelessness and/or addiction.
Supervises: None, Volunteers as assigned
Summary: The advocate is responsible for using sound professional judgment and best practices to ensure quality case management, mentoring, and advocacy services are provided to the service population, especially in crisis situations, while maintaining compliance with established program, state, and federal standards.
1. Independently coordinate referrals, service planning and documentation of services for assigned caseload
2. Provide comprehensive, trauma-informed service and safety planning, including immediate risk reduction and short-term therapeutic interventions
3. Act as a liaison with stakeholders, including legal providers, child protection, law enforcement, federal partners and others, and ensure both program and local protocol are followed.
4. Accept crisis calls and provide support to families in crisis.
5. Participate in weekly face to face or phone supervision with the supervisor.
6. 75% travel throughout the region, including overnight stays.
7. Conduct comprehensive assessments, develop treatment plans, and make independent decisions in the field regarding the safety and well-being of assigned children and families.
8. Complete in-home family preservation services as assigned.
9. Participate in community meetings and directly advocating with stakeholders for child services.
10. Meet all deadlines required by program supervisor and federal partners.
1. Meet all federal and state regulatory guidelines and standards that are applicable to this position.
2. Maintain a case load in accordance with agency policies and procedures and licensing and contract standards.
3. Participate in workshops, seminars, education programs and other activities that promote professional growth and development.
4. Maintain a minimum number of daily or weekly contacts with children and families.
5. Continually assess ongoing changes in behavior, circumstances or conditions that may affect child safety. Assessment must be child-focused, trauma-informed, and meet program quality expectations.
6. Provide family preservation interventions, including comprehensive safety planning and clinically-informed stabilization planning.
7. Provide feedback and support to crisis line staff to ensure an appropriate response to crisis calls, families’ needs are addressed through best possible supports, and follow ups are conducted as needed.
8. Ensure immediate responsiveness for all referrals and crises for assigned caseload
9. Engage and involve children and their caregivers in the casework process.
10. Document progress that children and their family/caregivers make toward risk reduction, achievement of service goals and positive case outcomes.
11. Meet all documentation expectations within the program-required timelines.
12. Comply with immediate reporting and response requirements for safety-related case issues in the field.
13. Compile, prepare, submit and maintain accurate records, files, forms, statistics and additional information in accordance with agency policies, licensing and/or contract requirements.
14. Transport clients, when needed, according to program protocol.
15. Dispatch within the required timeframe to assigned locations, which may include hospitals, police stations, DFPS offices, shelters, community-based settings, or incident locations.
16. Continuously evaluate, develop, and strengthen the quality of rapport with assigned clients.
17. Unfailingly commit to acting in the child’s best interest, including supporting the child’s relationships with community members and stakeholders.
18. Participate in community meetings and actively communicate with stakeholders as required to ensure services are in place.
19. Participate in weekly case staffing with regional team.
20. Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed or requested by position supervisor, including on-call assigned shifts
21. Implement BCFS and program safety protocols including evacuating with children and other staff in case of an emergency.
22. Maintain confidentiality in all areas of the service population and program operations.
23. Maintain BCFS professional and ethical standards of conduct outlined in BCFS employee handbook including demonstrating respect for agency staff, the service population, and community members and complying with required dress code at all times.
Credentials, Skills and Abilities:
1. Maintain current licenses and certificates required for the position including but not limited to
☐ First Aid ☐CPR ☐Emergency Behavior Intervention ☐ Office of the Attorney General
Sexual Abuse Program ☐Other:
2. Demonstrate mastery of comprehensive safety, resiliency, and mental health assessment.
3. Pass a pre-employment drug screen and random drug screens and maintain emotional control and professional composure at all times.
4. Provide proof of work eligibility status upon request.
5. Pass a pre-employment and biennial criminal background checks.
6. Demonstrate the ability to:
a. Respond sensitively and competently to the service population’s cultural and socio-economic characteristics
b. Continuously demonstrate the twelve essential characteristics of an effective advocate.
c. Work in a fast paced environment and maintain emotional control and professional composure at all times
d. Maintain computer literacy required to meet the responsibilities of the position
e. Work effectively and without intensive supervision both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team
f. Adapt immediately to changes in the field.
7. Demonstrate a working knowledge of all Human Trafficking Interdiction policies and procedures.
BCFS Health and Human Services Common Thread
Why Work Here?If you like to work with people that believe they can make a difference in the world, this is the company for you!
Excellent benefits, team atmosphere, flexible, and mission-driven program!