Senior/Principal Scientist, Protein Science
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Senior/Principal Scientist, Protein Science
Reports to: Head of Protein Sciences
BAKX Therapeutics is working on developing safer and more effective drugs in the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway. We bring together biologists and clinicians with deep knowledge of apoptosis along with computational scientists, medicinal chemists & experienced drug developers for a uniquely integrated approach to discovering and developing drugs.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated scientist with significant pharmaceutical/biotech industry experience in protein science & biophysics to join our team. This role will work collaboratively with members across different functional areas (Protein Sciences, Discovery Biology, Translational Biology, Chemistry, and CADD) to design, develop, and implement an integrated platform of experimentation and cutting-edge computational tools to address the unique biology of our target proteins. The candidate will implement a broad set of biophysical approaches to characterize protein structure, conformational dynamics, and activity with the goal of understanding the molecular mechanism of action and corresponding pharmacology of small molecules binding to target proteins. With a strong background in biophysics assay development, implementation, and a track record of contributing to multidisciplinary drug discovery teams, this position will play a critical role in driving BAKX Therapeutics' portfolio forward.
· Design, lead and implement biophysics strategies to support hit identification, hit-to-lead, and lead optimization campaigns across multiple drug discovery projects
· Collaborate with colleagues in chemistry, biochemistry, and biology to contribute and evaluate progress towards project/organizational goals
· Develop and employ robust, quantitative biophysical/biochemical methods to determine small molecule potency enabling efforts to establish SAR and rapidly drive the hit-to-lead process. Role is expected to be 50% lab-based
· Design and implement techniques and strategies to study protein binding interactions and characterize the mode-of-action of protein targeting small molecule candidates
· Lead the design, implementation, and validation of NMR studies for target protein structure determination and to characterize interactions with small-molecule compounds
· Design recombinant protein constructs for assay development and protein structure determination studies
· Extend and diversify internal capabilities through interaction with and management of CROs
· Prepare reports and presentations for leadership and participate in internal/external meetings
· Keep detailed electronic notebooks for patent and IND applications
· Help maintain a database of plasmids, proteins, and structural information
Requirements and Qualifications:
· Ph.D. in Biophysics, Biochemistry or related discipline with 3+ years or BS/MS with 10+ years of protein science or relevant experience in bio-pharmaceutical/life science industry.
· A track record of impacting all stages of the drug discovery process (hit-finding, hit-to-lead, lead optimization and candidate selection) through biophysical experimental design and results
· Broad knowledge in biophysical methods (including NMR, SPR, BLI, ITC, DSF, MST, Mass Spec etc.) for assessing protein-small molecule and protein-protein interactions with consistent, high-quality data analysis and independent troubleshooting
· Experiences in fragment, covalent, and ASMS screening are a plus
· Direct experience in working with challenging membrane proteins, characterizing protein structure, conformational dynamics, and function
· General knowledge of signaling pathways, protein homeostasis, and regulation of gene expression
· Proficient in GraphPad PRISM, PyMOL, Snapgene, and other relevant software
· Experience in mentoring junior scientists preferred
· Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems, independently troubleshoot, and deliver results in fast-paced environments
· Team player first, but also someone who can easily flex to work independently to conduct research
· Experience in collaborating and directing outsourced CRO activities is required
· Strong written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on multidisciplinary teams
· Ability to work with a sense of urgency under tight deadlines and comfortable working on multiple projects in parallel
- Opportunity to work on cutting edge science and develop meaningful therapeutics
- A fast, dynamic, and entrepreneurial work environment
- An inclusive, supportive, and collaborative team culture
- Competitive salary + equity in line with role, experience, and contribution
- 11 company holidays + Unlimited vacation policy
- Full array of benefits including 401(k) with a company match
"BAKX is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including recruiting, hiring, promotion, termination, compensation, and training, etc. will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law."
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
ScienceView all jobs at BAKX Therapeutics