Scientific Applications Programmer
- Posted: over a month ago
The Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) is part of the National Weather Service (NWS) and is responsible for developing complex Earth system models together with its research partners. These numerical weather prediction (NWP) models are deployed in NWS operations to provide weather and seasonal forecast guidance at different timescales from hours to days to months. The NWP models range from global atmospheric models, limited-area (regional) high resolution convective scale atmospheric models, hurricane models, global ocean circulation models, cryospheric models, wave models, land surface models etc. EMC is involved in all phases of scientific and engineering model development including data ingest, data assimilation, model integration, post processing, product generation, validation and verification.
What will you do
The software of the Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) applications are open source codes located on comprehensive and community friendly repositories. These repositories are organized in a hierarchical structure containing a series of subcomponent repositories owned by different entities. This position is to conduct repository management to help integrate developments from a broad community to these repositories. The selected candidate will work with a team to track, update, test, maintain, port, and release scientific softwares to support community development for operational implementation NWP applications at NWS. The candidate will also support the build system and test framework development for the Earth system model components from their official repositories.
- Integrate updates to the code repositories including review, test and troubleshooting of these updates on supported HPC platforms and cloud.
- Develop and modernize the hierarchical testing framework including regression tests, unit tests, code analysis, code quality tests, and continuous integration to maintain working repositories for all the supported applications.
- Install, test and troubleshoot application dependencies including libraries, utilities and compilers in the applications on the supported platforms
- Develop, test and troubleshoot application build system
- Port codes to new platforms including installing dependent software, setting up build and running systems and executing a full test suite for all the applications.
- Incorporate new software management techniques in code management including updating the build system, the test system and code commit procedure.
- Work with the workflow team to develop and maintain a consistent configuration manager in code repository test framework and workflow systems.
- Maintain documentation for code management and provide training on community model developments
Background in physical sciences and/or mathematics with demonstrated numerical modeling experience. Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder to qualify (please indicate in your cover letter)
- Proficiency in version control systems (Git), git workflow and repository management
- Expertise and demonstrated proficiency in the use of advanced concepts in Object Oriented Programming languages like Python and modern Fortran
- Expertise in shell scripting and developing software in a Unix environment
- Demonstrated experience in developing, working with and running Earth system models on HPC platforms and cloud. Experience with Unified Modeling System is a plus.
- Familiarity with cross-platform build and test systems e.g. CMake
- Good communication skills in English
- Willing to learn new technologies and to apply them in the code management development
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team that includes software engineers and scientists across different agencies.
Axiom offers competitive compensation packages including comprehensive medical/dental/life insurance and matching 401(k) contribution.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
AddressCollege Park, MD
TechnologyView all jobs at Axiom Consultants