Director of Operations
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage mental health tech startup seeking a scrappy generalist with prior experience directing operations at a venture-backed startup. In this role, you'll create conditions for the highest-quality mental health care experience in the world by working alongside the CEO and CCO, directing internal & external operations, and serving as 2nd-in-command at the company. Together, we'll reinvent therapy and change the mental health of millions. Details below!About Us:
Aware Healthcare is reinventing therapy. We're a venture-backed digital health startup creating a new mental health care system where everyone can get the quality care they deserve. 100 million Americans are currently struggling with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving evidence-based care. That's why we're solving for access and quality, by building a provider network and data platform that make it easy to find the right therapist and customize care just for you. We're the first network of therapists to use treatment based on science and data shared by patients to deliver truly personalized care. Through making the process of finding and receiving quality mental health care easier, we help patients get better sooner, providers grow their practices, and payers lower their costs. To date we have raised $1.5mm from over a dozen top institutional and angel investors (including the CTO of AirBnB, Chief Scientist of Pinterest, and ex-Administrator of SAMHSA), received multi-million-dollar contracts from 6 of the top 7 insurance payers in the country, and recruited 250 providers across 10 states. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili. While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ's story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
...About the Role:
- Title: Director of Operations
- Location: Remote or San Diego (in-person in San Diego preferred)
- Type: Full-Time
We're looking for a scrappy operations generalist to help reinvent therapy.
In this role you'll work side-by-side with our CEO and CCO to direct all internal (team-facing) and external (customer-facing) company operations. This will involve:
- working with our CCO to oversee the delivery of clinical care across our national network of mental health care providers
- working with our CEO to manage and empower our growing team with the direction and resources they need to thrive
This role will act as 2nd in command at the company. This means that day-to-day — while the CEO is focused on fundraising, hiring, sales, and product — you'll be in charge of making sure the "trains always run on time". No day will be the same, as everyday you'll be tasked with quickly and creatively solving a new problem, with a bias toward efficiency and and first-principles thinking.
At Aware Healthcare we obsess over quality of care for our patients, and - as a result - our culture revolves around an intense attention-to-detail never seen before in mental health care. While historically our industry has been content with variable quality from provider-to-provider and session-to-session, at Aware we promise a consistent five-star experience for all patients at every session. The right Director of Operations will be energized by this culture of excellence, and love the idea of consistently setting a higher quality bar by crossing every "t" and dotting every "i".
This role is for someone who:
- Prefers hands-on execution to big-picture strategy.
- Is more of a rapid-fire do-er than a slow methodical thinker.
- Is more of a scrappy hustler than an executive manager.
This will be a senior role within the company and a career-defining role for the right person.
- Act as 2nd-in-command.
- Work side-by-side with the CEO and CCO.
- Direct all internal (team-facing) and external (customer-facing) company operations.
- Manage operations, customer success, finance, human resources, and legal.
- Be simultaneously the most multi-faceted and detail-oriented person in the company.
- Serving as a "hands-on polymath" by constantly learning new things quickly and contributing wherever it is the organization needs you most that day or week.
- Serving as a "systems thinker" by establishing standard operating procedures (e.g. toolkits, handbooks, checklists) to ensure a quality and uniform experience for our providers and patients.
- Serving as a "force multiplier" by proactively identifying inefficiencies and developing solutions to expand organizational effectiveness (time/attention/resources/information).
Ideally, you have the right…
- Have previously directed operations at a venture-backed startup.
- (Optional) Have previously worked in the healthcare industry, preferably (but not necessarily) a telehealth company.
- Believe that nothing is below you and anything is possible.
- Are more of a generalist than a specialist.
- Think like a business operator.
- Have been described as a "very fast learner" and "surprisingly resourceful".
- Are a relentless and creative problem solver who "finds a way no matter what".
- Can operate in ambiguous situations, at fast speeds, and with lots of self-direction.
- Are detail-oriented and organized.
- Have the ability to juggle many priorities at once while not dropping any balls.
- Can quickly go from 0% to 80% knowledge on a new subject, in a matter of days.
- Love the experience of autonomy, mastery, and purpose that comes with joining a fast-growing startup.
...This role is *not* for you if:
- You're looking for a 9-5 job. We're an early-stage startup, and we all work very hard to push toward our ambitious plans.
- You ask for permission rather than forgiveness. We're looking for someone who will take ownership of any situation, whether it's part of their normal responsibilities or another hat they've donned at Aware.
- You're not comfortable with a bit of chaos. Each day is different, and projects and priorities often shift. We're looking for an adaptable team player who is comfortable and confident in the face of change.
- Mission-driven company with an industry-shaping goal and world-class team.
- Opportunity to make a significant difference on the future of mental health.
- High-growth environment supportive of individual autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- 100% coverage of top-tier medical/dental/vision insurance, starting your first day.
- One-of-a-kind company values and team work culture.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits.
- For more information visit: www.awarehc.com/careers
If you're interested in working with us, we'd love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
At Aware, we know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Aware is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
AddressLos Angeles, CA
BusinessView all jobs at Aware Healthcare