Our Washington DC - based client, a distinguished nonprofit, is seeking a Lead Security Architect with recent, hands-on experience working with the AWS cloud platform. This position will be directly responsible for implementing security measures for the protection of computer networks and information for the organization. This is an in-house role that will serve as an expert and a lead on AWS cloud security solutions and will play a central role in the migration to the AWS cloud environment. Familiarity with Splunk is strongly preferred. Candidate must have expertise in design, architecture, and development of AWS security solutions as well as performing testing of software for security vulnerabilities, verifying installation, authorization, and mitigation of vulnerabilities.
This position drives the execution of IT security transformations and upgrades and periodically tests them. The Lead Security Architect also trains staff and keeps them informed of current attack techniques and continually advances the security of the organization’s IT systems while maintaining availability and performance. This is a non-supervisory role although the Cyber Security Architect will assist in mentoring junior team members.
This is a FULL-TIME position that offers remote work options, competitive pay, and benefits, including professional development assistance, flexible schedules, health, dental, and vision, and much more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and deploy dynamically scalable and highly reliable security solutions on AWS. Install security measures and operate software to protect systems and information infrastructure, including firewalls and data encryption programs
- Select appropriate AWS services to design and deploy an application based on the business requirements
- Oversee day-to-day IT security system logs and reports for security threats/vulnerabilities, escalating issues and establishing mitigation plans.
- Monitor and maintain Splunk centralized logging and monitoring platform.
- Perform penetration testing and understand red/blue team exercises.
- Lead Information Security planning processes to enhance a comprehensive Information Security program for the entire organization. Work with Director to establish annual and long-term security goals, define security strategies, metrics, and reports.
- Provide guidance and counsel to management and other staff regarding all aspects of Information Security. Create education and awareness programs and advise staff at all levels on security issues, best practices, and vulnerabilities.
- Provide management reports on IT security and assist in responding to internal and external auditor requests.
- Monitor costs and evaluate emerging technologies, while working within the change management practices of the organization.
- Lead efforts to internally assess, evaluate and make recommendations regarding the adequacy of the security controls for the organization's information and technology systems.
- Lead the development and implementation of effective and reasonable policies and practices to secure protected and sensitive data and ensure Information Security and compliance.
- Provide leadership, direction, and guidance in assessing and evaluating Information Security risks and monitor compliance with security standards and appropriate policies. Identify security design gaps in existing and proposed architectures and recommend changes or enhancements.
- Provide technical and operational assessment of security products based on enterprise risk in the areas of mobile, physical, endpoint, network, and application development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related studies with a minimum of 6+ years of Information Technology experience relating to multiple platforms, operating systems, software, communications, and network protocols
- At least 5 years of experience in Information Security and Network Security, and 2 years of experience in Cloud Security. AWS Certifications are desired. Cloud security knowledge across multiple cloud platforms such as AWS and Azure required
- Experience with network security and segmentation, data security, application security, End-Point Security (desktops, laptops, servers, etc.), Mobile device security (smartphones, tablets, iPads, etc.), to include Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), Authentication and Authorization models and techniques (to include multi-factor authentication)
- Excellent root cause analysis skills and strong troubleshooting and critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with architectural specifications