Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center in Sioux Falls, SD is seeking a radiation oncologist to join two board certified radiation oncologists employed by the hospital and practice at the Avera Cancer Institute in the Prairie Center. The Prairie Center is a state of the art facility that opened in November 2010 with 260,000 square feet dedicated to clinical space and supportive services including medical oncology, gynecologic oncology and a surgical center.
Meet with us at the 2018 ASTRO Conference
Avera Cancer Institute:
- Outstanding Comprehensive Community Cancer Program
- Accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- Achievement Award in 2010 for exceeding the accreditation standards
- State of the art facility with 260,000 square feet opened in November 2010
- Radiation oncology, medical oncology, bone marrow transplantation, gynecologic oncology
- Surgical center with intra-operative radiation therapy for breast cancer
- National Cancer Institute clinical trials supported by Avera Research Institute
- Two external beam suites with Elekta Versa HD linear accelerators
- Perform IGRT (2-D digital portal imaging and 3-D KV cone beam), IMRT, SBRT, VMAT procedures, Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion
- Only dedicated brachytherapy suite in the region
- Elekta Flexitron afterloader with a Simulix Evolution
- Oncentra treatment planning system capable of IPSA optimization and volume analysis
- Strong HDR and permanent seed brachytherapy practice
- Utilize single vaginal cylinders, CT/MRI compatible T&O applicators, interstitial brachytherapy, breast, skin, and prostate brachytherapy.
- Wide-view GE Lightspeed RT 16 Ct Simulation Scanner
- Varis prostate seed planner and a robust prostate seed implant program
- ADAC Pinnacle Smart-Enterprise Treatment Planning Software
- Monaco Treatment Planning Software
- Elekta?s MOSAIQ EMR Software - all Avera regional sites operate out of the same MOSAIQ database for increased patient continuity and improved work flow.
- Mobetron electron-beam mobile linear accelerator for intra-operative radiation therapy
- Participating in Breast IOeRT HIOB trial based out of Salzburg, Austria
- We have our own IRB approved Single Fraction Research Protocol, enrolling patients now
- Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center in Sioux Falls, SD
- Avera is a health system of 300 facilities in ND, SD, MN, IA and NE
- Avera McKennan is a busy, growing 545-bed regional referral hospital
- Serves a large referral base with population of 1 million
The Avera Cancer Institute has two external beam radiation therapy suites, each housing an Elekta Versa HD linear accelerator. The Versa HD,with the Agility Head, features perfectly matched beam models allowing significant flexibility. The Elekta Versa HD allow us to perform IGRT (2-D digital portal imaging and 3-D KV cone beam), IMRT, VMAT and SBRT procedures, Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion
- We have the only dedicated brachytherapy suite in the region which features a Nucletron HDR Microselectron V3 afterloader, along with a Simulix Evolution, which provides detailed, high resolution images for brachytherapy procedures. The Oncentra treatment planning system is utilized for each case and is capable of IPSA optimization and volume analysis. It is on a single server for all regional sites. We have a strong and established HDR and permanent seed brachytherapy practice in which we utilize single and multichannel vaginal cylinders, CT/MRI compatible T&O applicators, interstitial brachytherapy, as well as breast, skin, and prostate brachytherapy.
- We provide intra-operative radiation therapy using the Mobetron electron-beam mobile linear accelerator. We participate in the Breast IOeRT HIOB trial based out of Salzburg, Austria. We have our own IRB approved Single Fraction Research Protocol that has been active since early 2015. We are actively enrolling patient into this trial. To date we have currently enrolled 17 people on this trial and 13 have received treatment. We have performed some gynecological, rectal and sarcoma cases.
- The Avera Cancer Institute also features a wide-view GE Lightspeed RT 16 Ct Simulation Scannera, Varis prostate seed planner and a prostate seed implant program, the ADAC Pinnacle Smart-Enterprise Treatment Planning Software (TPS), Monaco (TPS), and Elekta?s MOSAIQ EMR software. Both Avera Radiation Oncology sites operate out of the same MOSAIQ database for increased patient continuity and improved workflow.
- The Avera Cancer Institute is accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Program. It earned the Outstanding Achievement Award in 2010 for exceeding the accreditation standards. The Avera Cancer Institute partners with the Avera Research Institute in which National Cancer Institute clinical trials are supported by dedicated research nurses and staff. The Radiation Oncology Department has been accredited by the American College of Radiology since 2012.
- Known as holistic or complementary medicine, integrative medical therapies help patients deal with side effects and enhances the individual's sense of well-being. Patients and practitioners alike consider these therapies to be an important component of medical care. Seventy percent of today's patients use some form of integrative medicine. The Avera Cancer Institute is committed to caring for the whole person -- mind, body and spirit and helping individuals develop a deeper sense of well being.