The audit supervisor is responsible for supervising the policies, procedures and daily activities of the team assigned to them as well as functioning as senior/lead auditor during field audits. The audit supervisor also conducts tax and regulatory reviews on behalf of governmental entities and performs various review functions to detect, correct, and document taxpayer taxes, audit adjustments, assessments, and reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise, train, and mentor staff and assess performance through evaluations and formal periodic reviews and informal feedback. Act as advisor and subject matter expert during field audits.
- Performs examination of taxpayer records for compliance under direction of supervisor and management
- Gains understanding of tax laws
- Prepares for audits by reviewing tax returns, prior audit reports and other available data preliminary to the audit
- Meet with taxpayers to discuss audit procedures, answers questions and obtains necessary information and records
- Examines and verifies business and financial records
- Prepares papers supporting all adjustments; computes assessments
- Reviews and discusses audit findings with taxpayer and/or representative to illustrate how tax laws and rulings apply to taxpayer's specific operations and support audit results
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports explaining and supporting audit results
- Answers taxpayer inquiries; may participate in hearings of disputed cases; performs related duties as required
- Some travel is required
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting required
- CPA or CIA preferred
- Advanced knowledge of state and local tax laws, regulations, statutes, and procedures required
- 4-6 years related experience
- Strong professional background including experience with corporate accounting and finance.
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles and strong analytical skills.
Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter, with the ability to organize, plan and direct.
- Professional, customer service oriented, tactful, dependable and flexible.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively with personnel at all levels of the Company.
- Strong working knowledge of Accounting Systems and Microsoft office.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, flexibility and dependability.
Avenu provides local governments with ways to achieve more predictable revenue that supports growth, fuels modernization and ensures compliance with mandated but underfunded programs. Avenu's revenue enhancement and administrative solutions find and recover license, permit and other taxes that cities and counties struggle to collect. The insights and improved fiscal posture enables governments to deliver expected services and sustain a high quality of life for residents.
Avenu is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Selection for a position will be made without regard to race, religion, national origin, sex, political affiliation, marital status, non-disqualifying physical handicap, and age.