Battery Assembly Technician
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Avanti Battery Company is a battery storage startup commercializing a new battery chemistry recently discovered at MIT. Officially launched in 2022, our aim is to develop a battery chemistry and a long‑duration storage product that will enhance the integration of renewable energy and enable a 100% decarbonized electricity grid. We are seeking experienced battery engineers, research scientists, technicians, and lab professionals who are excited to shape the foundational technologies of tomorrow’s electricity grid.
We have supportive investors and a clear runway to design, test, innovate, and create. The founders of Avanti are inventors and entrepreneurs with extensive experience at successful climate tech and battery startups. We offer generous compensation and benefits because we truly believe that the best way to develop technology is to assemble and support a team of dedicated professionals who are passionate about the scientific process of discovery and who enjoy working on challenging problems every day.
What You’ll Do
We are looking for a battery assembly technician to join Avanti’s Battery Development team. You will work at our headquarters in Watertown, MA, where you will apply your technical expertise to challenging problems and exciting hardware development. We are breaking new ground in the realm of battery storage and your contributions will be an essential part of that adventure. Overall, we are searching for technicians with the flexibility, curiosity and proactiveness to embrace life at a hardware start-up while contributing to the development of cutting edge new batteries.
Your role will encompass every facet of cell assembly and efficient lab operations. You will be responsible for diligent assembly of pouch cells and a variety of other battery cell types, while following weekly cell build priorities and maintaining a high level of consistency and precision. Like every role at a new start-up, this position entails a high level of responsibility and allows for significant input into our internal lab processes and operating procedures. We are a tight knit team without hierarchy, so you will work closely with our team of engineers, scientists, and university co-ops and interns.
Our primary lab is under construction and will be move-in ready later this year. In the meantime, we have set-up a temporary lab that will be our base of operations for the next few months. Since we are at the beginning of our business adventure, this is an exciting opportunity to build and own the entire process of battery cell production. Technicians, engineers, and scientists are the heart of our company, and you will be joining a supportive environment that encourages your own career growth and professional development. This is an opportunity to have a direct and daily impact in an exciting energy technology startup.
Our technicians have primary responsibility for ensuring the highest standard of lab operations and producing high-functioning cells that will drive the creation of a new battery storage product. This is an exciting time at our company, and we are looking for technicians who can direct that feeling towards every aspect of our lab!
- Build better batteries every day
- Build pouch cells and other battery cell types with consistency and precision, according to weekly cell build priorities
- Operate machine tools (lathe, mill, welder, 3D printer, laser cutter)
- Use and maintain glove boxes (seals, gloves, purge system)
- Use and maintain lab equipment (vacuum pumps, fume hoods, machine tools, hot plates, high temperature vacuum ovens, pressurized cylinders, failure analysis benches)
- Maintain analytical tools such as SEM, UV/Vis, Raman, Autolab potentiostats, optical microscopes and setups for electrical characterizations
- Organize lab materials. maintain clean and organize workstations and lab environment, and order supplies
- Keep chemical inventory up to date and practice safe lab procedures
- Prior hands-on experience building batteries or other electrochemical devices
- Familiarity with chemical lab safety standards and procedures
- Strong collaboration skills as part of a broader technical team
- Exceptional teamwork and communication skills
- Proactive and self-motivated, prepared for the pace and responsibility of a hardware start-up in tough tech
- Committed to continuous improvement and problem-solving
- Organized and detail-oriented, especially in terms of recording methods and results
- Consistent and precise throughout each small step in assembling battery cells
- Excited about applying research and technology towards solving the climate crisis
- A mission-driven start-up with space for employees to shape the direction of the company and grow with our organization
- Generous and flexible PTO policy
- Generous compensation based on experience
- Company health insurance plan with 100% of premiums covered for health, dental, and vision (for both employee and family members)
- Employee stock options
- Retirement 401k matching
Equal Employment Opportunity
Avanti is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information and/or other status protected under law.
Get fresh Battery Technician jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.