Auto Warehousing (AWC) has been family-owned and operated for more than 50 years and is North America’s leader in finished vehicle logistics. Our mission is to service customer vehicles safely, efficiently, with quality and pride. Our Associates are the reason for our success, and developing their talent remains critical to our future.
Payroll Manager manage all aspects of the Human Resource Information System (HRIS), including payroll production, maintenance and improvement for both US and Canadian associates. The Payroll Manager oversees payroll administration including monitoring all tasks necessary to accomplish the organization’s payroll processing objectives.
Acts as the company representative with external auditors and state and federal agencies. While the main priority and accountability is accurate payroll processing, the Payroll Manager also manages projects around enhancing and adding to services managed within the payroll platform. In addition, the Manager manages all needed reporting from the system.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Tasks
- Manage and guarantee weekly disbursement of Canada and US multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes to associates consistent with provincial, federal and state wage and hour laws
- Reviews associate processing of; new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions and
terminations for accuracy and timeliness
- Supervise payroll and timekeeping staff
- Critically review and analyze current payroll, benefits and tax procedures to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations
- Audit W-4s,T-4s, payroll balance sheets, YTD earnings, etc.
- Communicate actively with Operations, HR, Benefits and Finance to review cross-departmental impacts and reconcile data sharing
- Ensure systems are set-up and updated to reflect our current employee base, including wages, benefits, sick and vacation time in line with contracts (union and non-union)
- Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.)
- Analyzes, prepare and inputs payroll data. Typically uses automated system to produce accurate and timely payroll.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state, federal, provincial wage and hour laws.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports for management (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.)
- Supports various journal entries, account reconciliations and provides general ledger maintenance in the HRIS.
- Manages the required year end payroll related functions in both US and Canada; Manages the year end process within the HRIS and ensures that all year end documentation is accurately produced by the vendor, including W-2s, T4’s final tax filings, etc.
- Stays current on payroll systems to achieve alignment and efficiencies with HR, benefits, finance and other related areas to ensure effective accounting support
- Support’s and acts as a resource for field human resources/payroll coordinators
- Acts as primary contact for payroll platform with outside organizations or other departments; responds to technical administrative questions and ensures necessary follow up
- Develop, update, and modify codes, tables, reports, and other system applications for standardization.
- Management and maintenance of the HRIS system security tree and position management that; maintains security for users and user groups, protects confidential associate data.
- Operational & Functional System Support : Troubleshoots system related issues and problems; determines how to accurately correct the situation and executes the solution to completion.
- Designs ad-hoc payroll/HRIS reports for use by the Operational teams or Finance Leaders; analyzes the reports for data integrity and initiates any corrective action necessary to ensure data integrity
- Oversees all required reporting functions, including the annual EE0-1,W-2 preparation, etc.
- Maintains the organization's confidential payroll records; ensures that all required payroll records are accurately maintained within the legally required time frame; responsible for coordinating document destruction of all confidential information after the legal retention period has expired.
- Manage associate records to ensure up to date by ensuring processing associate status changes in timely fashion.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge
- Actively supports the Vision, mission and values of the company
- Contributes to the team by accomplishing results as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Report writing with Business Intelligence a plus
- Must be knowledgeable of standard business applications and a highly proficient user of Excel
- Must be a team player
- Must be highly organized
- Prior system conversion experience, a plus
- Ability to interpret Union Contracts, a plus
- HR functional experience with prior payroll processing experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Commitment to extraordinary customer service required; with attention to detail
- Thorough understanding of the full cycle multi-state payroll process; including time and attendance, tax filings and garnishments and the compliance requirements
- Understanding of federal & state employment related regulations and their application (FLSA, 401K etc.)
- Ability to work independently within a fast-paced environment to make the decision needed to ensure an accurate compliant outcome
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work in order to consistently meet daily, weekly and monthly deadlines. Utilizes time efficiently and develops realistic action plans
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve technical problems
- A behavior and conduct that maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that develops working relationship with customers, vendors,co-workers, and management
- Communication proficiency, technical capacity, personal effectiveness and credibility
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred) or equivalent experience
- CPP preferred
- 10+ years of payroll experience (Ultimate Software, UltiPro preferred)
- 5 + years of payroll processing in a multi-state environment
- 5+ years of advanced experience with MS Excel and/or MS Access
- Knowledge of various HRIS functions, data management concepts, hardware, software, network, and electronic data interchange capabilities (Ultimate preferably)
- Requires strong working knowledge of the operations, maintenance, interfaces, and security of HRIS
- Strong analytical skills
- Able to work well in a team environment where cooperation and communication are critical, and individuals generally work simultaneously on team-based and independent assignments
- Intimate Working experience of payroll tax at the federal, state and local levels
Auto Warehousing Company, including its subsidiaries, is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
Auto Warehousing Company
Why Work Here?Auto Warehousing (AWC) has been family-owned and operated for more than 50 years and is North America’s leader in finished vehicle logistics. Our mission is to service customer vehicles safely, efficiently, with quality and pride. Our Associates are the reason for our success, and developing their talent remains critical to our future.
Family Owned Company, Room for Growth, Excellent Benefits, Fun Work Environment