Austin Achieve Public Schools is a tuition-free, open-enrollment public charter school preparing East Austin youth to attend and excel at the nation’s top colleges and universities. Teachers play an essential role in the success of Austin Achieve scholars, as high-quality teaching is the key to student achievement. Additionally, teachers and staff will play a critical role in the development of the school’s culture and educational philosophies.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a positive adult mentor for students
- Work as part of the instructional team to design, deliver, and assess the Austin Achieve curriculum based on the TEKS.
- Administer Interim Assessments at least 2 times a year to track student readiness and progress
- Use data from on-going assessments (formal and informal) to impact future instructional decisions
- Design a syllabus detailing course goals, learning objectives, and scope and sequence to be given to students during first week of class
- Attend professional development training before the beginning of the school year and during non-instructional days/times
- Utilize the knowledge from professional development in order to improve instructional practices in the classroom
- Attend weekly staff meetings, parent conferences, and school events
- Participate and assist in the supervision of all activities and functions dealing with the class and the student body as a whole
- Maintain a timely class record of assignments and grades in the Austin Achieve Student Information System(SIS)
- Deep-seated belief in the mission and vision of Austin Achieve
- Be willing to do “whatever it takes” to ensure all students learn
- Hold all students to the highest expectations in order to ensure college readiness
- Ability to use data to inform instructional practices
- Excellent classroom management and teaching skills
- Experience in collaboratively developing lesson and unit plans
- Strong computer skills and desire to teach with technology
- Native Spanish fluency desired but not required
- Previous success working with second language learners and students from low-income and underrepresented backgrounds
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience
- Current Texas credential in the subject area applying for (or information indicating your eligibility to receive one).
ABOUT AUSTIN ACHIEVE:
- Austin Achieve believes strongly in “teacher leadership.” While all teachers are encouraged to apply, teachers specifically interested in school leadership will have unique opportunities at Austin Achieve as we continue to grow a new grade level each year.
- All returning and new teachers will have the opportunity to apply for a competitive “lead teacher projects” in which teachers have an opportunity to craft a proposal of a project to work on over the summer. These projects will primarily be focused on curriculum design, but project ideas will be considered. Teachers in this program will be compensated for their time and efforts.
- The leadership team is committed to supporting the use of technology. Teachers can expect that there will be a class set of iPads in every classroom. Additionally, Austin Achieve will use online tools to track student mastery. Teachers are encouraged to incorporate technology into their daily lessons.
- The Austin Achieve school year has 190 days and a typical day runs from 7:15 AM to 3:55 PM. Additionally, teachers are strongly encouraged to lead or participate in after-school activities (ranging from tutoring to clubs) at least once a week.
- Master schedules are designed to allow for as much collaborative planning time as possible. Middle and high school teachers can expect to have two free periods (or the equivalent for elementary level teachers) daily for this purpose.
STATEMENT OF NON-DISCRIMINATION:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
*Please note that this job offer is contingent on passing a background check.