We’re looking for a creative, collaborative editor and experienced newsroom manager to oversee day-to-day operations on the audience engagement team at The Atlantic.
Founded in 1857, the magazine is undergoing a major expansion of its newsroom, digital platforms, and journalistic ambitions. The audience team sits at a key intersection between The Atlantic and its audiences. This team helps dedicated readers find the most valuable and nourishing work for them, leads casual visitors to greater depth, and introduces newcomers to our journalists and sensibility.
The person we hire will help lead a team charged with the selection and presentation of Atlantic stories on the mobile and desktop home screens and other surfaces. You will also work with colleagues across the editorial team, as well as in product, design, and engineering to improve and extend the usability and power of those platforms.
You should be a voracious consumer of journalistic work. You should be curious about the best ways to cultivate relationships with existing and new audiences for The Atlantic. And you should bring impeccable judgment and ingenuity to tell important stories in ways that make them indispensable.
You should also enjoy and show that you are invested in giving and receiving meaningful, actionable feedback—on editorial output, performance, and contribution to the spirit and values of the team—to and from your colleagues.
This editor will report to our Audience Editor
As a senior editor, you will:
- Manage the six editors on our audience and engagement team, including communication, long-term performance assessment, goal-setting, and career development
- Participate in hiring and lead onboarding, training, and coaching for new employees
- In coordination with newsroom leaders, execute on- and off-platform programming and presentation, including story selection and framing for the home screen, push notifications, and social media
- Write promotional plans for major features. Review and edit promo plans from staff
- Work two four-hour social shifts per week, filling in for others as needed
- Troubleshoot problems on the home screen or article pages with the product and engineering teams
- Provide both one-off and continuing education, research and reporting on audience behavior and strategy to newsroom colleagues
- Train the audience team and others in new platforms and tools (e.g., Socialflow, Chartbeat, Looker)
- Oversee and capture longer-term insights from an energetic multivariate testing practice around headlines and other presentation attributes
- Work closely with other editors to polish and optimize pieces for social and other types of distribution
- Identify new platforms, partnerships, and practices that can drive traffic and grow our audience
- Lead brainstorming, creation, and execution of audience engagement campaigns
- Craft original stories and adapt new stories for visual platforms such as Instagram and AMP Stories
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.